Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
♥♥ Do you hide fabrics and Quilting Supplies from your spouse?  Come on confess and tell us where you stash your fabrics! ♥♥ >

♥♥ Do you hide fabrics and Quilting Supplies from your spouse? Come on confess and tell us where you stash your fabrics! ♥♥

♥♥ Do you hide fabrics and Quilting Supplies from your spouse? Come on confess and tell us where you stash your fabrics! ♥♥

Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 AM

After 65 years of marriage, we hide nothing from each other. He has learned to live with my hobbies. I also do folkart painting, china painting, beading, read books, cooking, baking, sewing,quilting, embroidery,knitting, crocheting and anything I want to do and so does he. I hate to think of downsizing someday.
All of those actvities require instruction books and supplies. I'm going to live every day till I die.

Carol J.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you hide fabrics from your spouse? Come on confess and tell us where you stash your fabrics!

Hubby never goes into my rooms, so he has no idea what I have! :) :) :)

I have some 2 drawer file cabinets and have them under a table (out of site) and that is where I file some of my quilting books, magazines, etc. nice and organized that way.
nope..never have...I married him when I already had a HUGE crafting/sewing stash..it has only increased...then when we had to move ourselves from Alaska to Oklahoma...I downsized...but alas..it has grown back...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't hide anything. He doesn't care. We support each others passions :)
His, unfortunately, is cooking and my waistline is proof LOL
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 AM

no.. I don't need to hide what I buy, I hardly ever buy anything anyway. His only problem would be where am I going to put it, not if I bought it.. So I generally bring into the laundry room for it to go through the wash.. after that no one knows where it goes but me. It's a nice way to live.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 AM

No. I, usually, tell him when I'm buying fabric. If there are sales or a new quilt I'm starting, I will buy fabric. Other than that, I don't buy weekly, etc.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 AM

I use my own money to buy my fabric and tools so there is no reason to hide it from him. What really bugs me is that he tells everyone how much I paid for my machine and quilt frame, but he forgets to tell them what he paid for his boat/motor/trailer, the car he had to buy to haul the boat and the house we had to build so that he can store his boat at home.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 AM

No I do not. But I sometimes want to because I feel guilty. But my husband never complains about it. He just said, "Well money is low this month. We might have to sell fabric to make ends meet."
Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 AM

No I don't hide my fabric or quilting supplies. We are retired and live on a fixed income. At the beginning of each month, I put money in different accounts for gas, food, medicine, farm and pet fund, emergency fund and paying bills. We never use the money in those accounts for personal spending.
For personal use, my husband and I each get an agreed amount of money for our own spending money. We can spend it in any way we want. My husband uses his money for his gun collection, or buying a tool. I use my money for fabric, eating out with friends or buying clothes.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM

I don't really hide my purchases, but if I come home with a big bag I'll just walk on through and put it on my sewing table without opening. Then later I'll go get out my new goodies and pet them for a while.

I have a friend, though, who hides her fabric between the mattresses of the bed in her guest room. She says her husband complains when she brings home more fabric, so she avoids that because he never goes in the guest room. Also, in her previous house, there was a storage closet in her garage. She would stash her purchases in there, wait a few days, then get the bags out. When he would ask if she had bought new fabric, she would say, "Nah, I've had this for a while." It was true, she just didn't have to say how long of a while! :)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 AM

I never hide my stash. I do have a huge stash and Hubby knows that. I have my business stash and personal stash. They crossover sometimes. When I buy fabric I tell him it is for the business! Many times it is. I don't ask him why he needs that tool or a new part for the Harley etc. So he doesn't ask me why I need more fabric! I am a fabric collector why must I use it! Do stamp collectors use their stamps? I have been doing a complete kitchen, dinning room and living room renovation for the last 2 months! I have not been able to do anything in the sutido with the exception of a small amount of hand embroidery. Great topic! Have a great Day!