Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you draw cutting charts? >

Do you draw cutting charts?

Do you draw cutting charts?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:37 AM

Default Do you draw cutting charts?

I am doing a queen bed quilt paper piecing, with a gazillion pieces. The designer gives you the cutting sizes, quantity, and colors for each piece, and the amount of fabric to buy. I always draw up a chart showing how to lay out the pieces so I get the most out of a piece of fabric. I have been working on these charts for this quilt for over two hours, and am completely frustrated. (There are 1196 pieces to cut, and about half of them are squares to be cut in half or quartered). Two of the fabrics have come up short, even though I purchased an additional quarter yard of each of the six colors. However, my question is this -- do you draw up a cutting chart, and if not, what method do you use to decide how to cut your fabric? Do you buy the yardage the pattern says or do you buy extra??
Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

First off, numbers can easily make a task very daunting. I work on one block at a time, especially paper piecing.... Trying to prepare all (1196) at once is overwhelming from the start. I do determine for each block the best way to cut fabric to save it, and I save the (scraps) that may fit into one of the future blocks. When it start the next block I start with the scraps to see if any of them fit into this one. Often when paper piecing I use stash, and keep it (scrappy) to a point. That way, if I run short on one fabric I can easily choose a different one without changing the look/feel of the project. I do, when purchasing fabric for a particular project buy extra, in case I mess up, make a mistake and because I may do something differently than the original was done. If you break this down into manageable sizes ( maybe 2 or 3 blocks at a time ) it may come out much ( happier) than being bogged down/ overwhelmed with trying to keep the whole thing organized
Old 11-04-2014, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

I make a cutting layout diagram (like you get with printed garment fabrics) when I'm not sure that I'm going to have enough fabric.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 AM

I do not do a cutting chart. As a general rule, I cut largest pieces first and then work my way down to the smallest pieces. I'm not sure how accurate you can really be with yardage for paper piecing though as there is always waste. I do always buy extra yardage than what a pattern calls for. I don't maintain a stash so I just buy for projects. The only 'stash' I have is any fabric that may be left over from those projects purchases. Amount of extra that I buy varies greatly. If it's the focal fabric for any given quilt and depending on how large the quilt is, I might buy up to a yard extra of that. Other lesser needed fabrics I'll buy anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 yard extra.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 AM

I would find drawing a cutting chart way too frustrating for that many pieces. And since you are doing paper piecing, I'd certainly get extra fabric. You say there are squares .... I'd cut those first. Then, I'd cut the largest first and try to use scraps from the extra. But, I don't cut all my blocks out before starting to sew. I do a few blocks at a time like someone else said.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:13 AM

I don't make a chart. Sometimes I end up needing more fabric so I try to get the bulk of the cutting done so I can tell if I'll need more before the shop runs out of that particular fabric. Once I'm sure I have enough I start to piece and then cut more as needed. After a marathon cutting session my neck and shoulder are sore so i save some cutting once I'm sure about how much fabric I need.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:08 AM

I usually do a chart--it helps keep me organized. I usually will make one block before doing all the cutting, to be sure that the instructions work out properly. And I always buy extra fabric!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I make a cutting layout diagram (like you get with printed garment fabrics) when I'm not sure that I'm going to have enough fabric.

I do the same. I find out how many of the block I can cut in a strip. Since I work with donated fabrics, it have to be so careful not to be short of the fabric.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I check how many blocks I need for the size I want to make. I'll make so many blocks in a day. I also will make a block out of scraps to see if I even want to fool with it. If I don't like it I'm not out much and it gets added to the scrappy sampler then I go onto another pattern. I always buy extra yardage to allow for shrinkage and because too often the instructions for yardage amount are a little off.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:32 AM

I always buy extra yardage. I usually buy fabric that I love w/o a specific project in mind, then when I have a project start w/ the loved fabric and add to it the other fabric, and that fabric is purchased w/ a project in mind. I am way to excited to start the project to sit and draw layout designs or fussy cut pieces, that would cause me to have even more ufo's then I already do! lol lol lol I cut and layout for best use of fabric w/o an overly big amount of waste, but I HATE seam ripping so I err on the side of a little more waste then being a hair to small and have to rip it out for another piece.