Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing? >

Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing?

Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Default Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing?

I tell myself I'm going to buckle down and just make baby quilts but then I get the urge to make a simple potholder or a cute little baby outfit or fall in love with a cloth doll pattern and my buckling just doesn't happen.

In order to "find your passion" you're supposed to stick to one thing so why can't I do that? Or can I just say sewing is my passion, no matter what I sew?

What type of sewer* do you see in yourself?

*I hate how that reads like soo er.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:43 AM

I sew what I feel like when I feel like it. In the last two months I have made 2 baby quilts, a dress, a shirt and several mug rugs. That's why I have UFO's. LOL but I keep busy and happy and that's my idea of a hobby.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
In order to "find your passion" you're supposed to stick to one thing....
That seems kind of backwards to me. How can you find your favorite ice cream if you only try butter pecan?

Unless you have some "must make baby quilts" driver, like that's your only source of income, is there really a reason that you can't just go with what moves you at the moment? Life's too short not to taste all the flavors you can!!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 AM

hear hear!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 AM

Why only one at a time?
Right now I'm working on blocks for a swap, just finished a table runner, working on holiday placemats, need to finish quilting large throw for DD, stuff throw pillows, getting ready to start DWR that I've been planning for awhile now, and trying to figure out what pattern I want to use for youngest DS quilt. Will most likely make a tote or two in there somewhere too, plus some costuming.
For me variety is the spice of life!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 AM

I agree, I have several things in the works and more in my mind just waiting to get in the cue. Anything related to quilting is my passion.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 AM

I seem to be somewhat of an ADD quilter. I want to piece today, quilt tomorrow...oh look, a squirrel! I have a hard time settling down. Then for some reason, I get on a 'I want to finish lots of UFOS and get them out of my house' kick. My husband LOVES that one. The one thing he does not get is that then I'm free to start a whole SLEW of new projects!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

There are just so many projects and possibilities and potential gifts and when I walk into my room I forget which project I was going to work on. Like looking through a kaleidescope and trying to choose which color you like best. Only where do I begin!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I tell myself I'm going to buckle down and just make baby quilts but then I get the urge to make a simple potholder or a cute little baby outfit or fall in love with a cloth doll pattern and my buckling just doesn't happen.

In order to "find your passion" you're supposed to stick to one thing so why can't I do that? Or can I just say sewing is my passion, no matter what I sew?

What type of sewer* do you see in yourself?

*I hate how that reads like soo er.

Who?????? Me???????????? the one who stopped in the middle of piecing a guilt to take apart a sleep shirt for a pattern and then cut the pattern out? Me???????????? The quilt has to be first this morning. I need to show off the first half at a meeting this evening.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
That seems kind of backwards to me. How can you find your favorite ice cream if you only try butter pecan?

Unless you have some "must make baby quilts" driver, like that's your only source of income, is there really a reason that you can't just go with what moves you at the moment? Life's too short not to taste all the flavors you can!!
Amen. That's why you can buy multiple scoops on one cone. (just don't put the shebert on the bottom----------melts too fast)