Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family? >

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Google Goddess

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers or other family?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 AM

I have a couple of my grandmothers and a few tops that I actually don't know who in the family did them.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Google Goddess

I was visiting my parents and my mom showed me a quilt that my dad's mom made years ago. It is all hand pieced and hand quilted (fan pattern). My mom told me it was made in the 1930's or before. My grandmother died the day after I was born as she lived long enough to know she had a granddaughter. My mom told me that I could have that quilt as it was in the will when my dad dies that I get the quilt.

The quilt was made from her own clothes. How awesome!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM

I have 2 quilts that my maternal grandmother made. she pasted away June 1949. We also have one that my husband's grandmother made for hime when was a little boy. She used scraps from clothes she had made for him. Thay are treasures.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Google Goddess

If you have any please post a picture for all of us to enjoy on this thread. The next time I go back to mom's will get a photo of the grandmothers quilt.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 AM

Sadly no. There were a few quilts made by my Great Grandmother, but my Aunts have them. I'm the only one who quilts in our family. My 1st quilt was a Grandma's Flower Garden, that I made because I wanted one that was like the one I remember playing on as a child. Those pathways made the best race tracks for match box cars. My GGM's quilt was made of feed sacks.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM
bj

I've been promised a couple from my MIL. One is a top her granny made for her when she was 9 that I had quilted for her when she was 75. The other is a signature quilt from when her grandparents moved from OK to TX in 1923. We'll see. Her daughter may beat me to them...which would be absolutely okay. I'd probably give them to her anyway. My MIL is one of those people who won't use anything like that cause she doesn't want to ruin them. Her quilt looks like it was just made. It's really beautiful. I made her one with all of her kids, grandkids, great grands and spouses on it. I don't think it's ever made it out of the closet. But it's not dirty LOL.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM

I have what is left of a quilt my great grandmother made. Most of it is in shreds. I am considering cutting out pieces that are in good shape and framing them. I would like to give them as gifts to my brothers and nieces.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 AM

I just remembered that I have a quilt that my MIL made. It was made in 1974 out of polyester scraps from some of my old clothes. It is a hexagon pattern and boy is it heavy! It is a great winter quilt. I will try to post a picture.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 AM

I am so lucky to have a collection of quilts from seven generations. My great great grandmother, my great grandmother, my grandma, my mom, myself, my daughter, and my granddaughters. This is my most prized possession!