Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Embroidered, full size. Gold and beige embroidery.

Pam
    Please post again for the new users, like me!!!

I've been thinking of asking this very question. Glad you did. I have a quilt that has been handed down through the years to the oldest daughter in the family. Happened to be me this go 'round. It's a quilt that was made before the Civil War. During the war, it was buried in the ground to hide it from the Yankees (the original family was in Virginia). I'll post a picture in the next few days. You can even see the cotton seeds when the quilt is held up to the light.

Pam
    Woodster, I can hardly wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers or other family?
    Yes, I love my families quilts! These came from both my side of the house and my husband's family. And, I might add, because of the precise handpiecing and handquilting of my precious relatives, I never let myself quilt because I did not want to place myself within their critical eyes. That makes me sad now that they have all passed because I know they would have only encouraged me even more and taught me so much. However, I am presently in my sixties and slowly self-teaching myself the art of quilting. I truly love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another beauty.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have the one and only quilt my mother (and I - age 10) made. She used wools and tweeds on one side and cottons on the other. All the fabric was from her stash from all the clothes she had made us over the years. I never knew my Mom to wear store bought clothes.
    All the pieces were 3 inch squares and then tied, not quilted. It's really heavy, but my Dad liked the weight of it on their bed.

And finally, my dearest quilt......I remember Mother's aprons, my sister's school costumes and the stories Mother told me of her Mother's swatches. These blocks stayed in a box during my childhood and she would let me carefully play with them. "One day", she always said, "I will finished them." And sure enough she did at the age of 91. Notice the whiteness of today's fabric blocks compared to the old blocks. Shortly after finishing the quilt, Alzheimer began stealing her mind and her ability to even do embroidery work. She passed about a year later. I miss her and wish she could see my quilting.

Up Close - final posting of photo sharing. Thank you and hope you all have enjoyed seeing what I love sharing.

I have some quilts by my paternal grandmother (one hexagons, one triangles), a top made by a paternal great-grandmother and quilted by my grandmother (carpenter star), and a quilt made by my maternal great-grandmother (squares). My wife has a couple of quilts from her maternal grandmother (one squares, one Sunbonnet Sue). Only two of them are in good enough shape to use, but they are still treasures.

Darren

I have two quilt tops that were made by my dad's mom. The smaller of the two have a few squares missing out of it. The larger one just needs to be put together. And then I have pieces and some hexagon shapes there is even a metal template for the hexagon shape. They were all hand done. I am afraid if I try to do anything to them I will mess them up. Still in the thinking process. The hexagon things scare me, the pattern looks so complicated and the pieces are so small. Some day I will try to remember and take a picture of the tops and pieces. My grandma passed away when I was really young, so the tops have been around awhile.
    I also have a wedding ring quilt that my bosses gave me years ago, it was completed.
    And a crazy quilt from my dad's mother I believe. It has seen better days need to see what I can do to help it have more days.
    It is really neat to read the stories behind everyone's quilts.

All Thumbs -

I can relate to your mother's illness, because both my grandmothers died after long battles with Alzheimer's. I'm glad you have the beautiful quilt to remind you of your mother's better times. I know it brings you a smile of joy to see it and remember her.

Darren

My great grandmother and my great aunt made this quilt in the mid 1950's. She hand pieced and hand quilted a quilt for each of her grandchildren. She had 8 children and they all had big families so that's a lot of stitching!

Blog Entries
    Wow, I am so excited that I started this thread, I just read all of the posts and now have tears in my eyes, what cool stories and love seeing all of the old quilts, treasures!!!!

Thanks everyone and hope to see more posts and pictures. It sure brings back memories.

Be sure to grab you a kleenex as you read the stories and see the beautiful quilts!

Craftybear

Pam
    The quilts that are posted are beautiful. I surely hope that this thread gets longer and longer with pictures of more beautiful quilts.

Blog Entries
    I have inherited the ones that my grandomothers did not finish. A wedding ring quilt started by my fathers greatgrandmother, finished by my grandmother and I am now quilting it. Then My maternal grandmother cut a thousand ( it sure seems like it) hexagons and started piecing them together and now I am trying to hand finish those and make it into a quilt for my mother. I am hoping I will finish both in time to give to my parents for Christmas. It is kind of like I will be giving myself a quilt because I know someday they will come back to me but hopefully not for a long, long, long time.

Will try to take and post pictures later. The colors of the tops are not my choice. Do not know what they were thinking. I also have a polyester top that my paternal grandmother made. She loved polyester.

Oh, I do think I have the start to a wedding ring quilt, too.

I have several from my DH family. One, was his DGM's baby quilt. We have dated it to 1900-01. It is a full size monkey wrench in red, white, and blue. We rescued it when my MIL passes away. She stored it in a plastic bag, in a ceder chest!!!!!
    I made reproductions of it for both his brothers last Christmas. Will post a picture when I fiqure out how.
    We also have a compass rose quilt and several polyester and wool quilts from his DF's family.

I fiqured it out!!! Forgive me, I'm very new to this, and I am not computer savy!!!
    This is the one we dated to 1900-01

Blog Entries
    That is such a pretty pattern. Maybe you could draw templetes and post them ????? I've not seen that pattern before.

Blog Entries
    Quilt made by Great grandmother, GM, and my Mom, late teens or early 1920's.Mom was born 1897, and this was done for her "hope chest", but I don"t think they called it that back then. Quilt was always used, if not for the top of bed, thrn as a blanket. Fabric is thin, but really in very good shape.

Pam
    Oh, that is so pretty! I LOVE double wedding ring, always a favorite pattern.

Oh, its so neat to see all the old quilts. I dont have any either, guess my family wasnt into quilting!

My grandmother had an auction and sold her farm when I was a young teenager. I was offered any of her things that I wanted but I was young and STUPID and took nothing. She had quilts that she made that I remember sleeping under: I couldn't even move under these quilts they were so heavy. My dad crawled under them when she was quilting them to send the needle "back up". I should have my ... kicked for not taking them ALL.

We have 2 family quilts on a wall rack in our bedroom. One was made by my husband's grandmother. It was an unquilted top when she passed away. My SIL had it hand quilted by "the church ladies" in Tulsa OK and gave it to us for our wedding in 1981. The other is a tied log cabin quilt made by my grandmother. My mother gave it to me a few years ago. I don't know exactly when these quilts were pieced. We treasure them. Sorry I don't have a photo to post right now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast