Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Mom and my Grandmother got together with scraps of my "homemade" clothes and made five quilts for us when we got married. Today they would only fit a twin bed nicely. I've been married 51 years and through three children, I only have a piece of one and another one that is "lovingly used". My Mother in Law did not give gifts for special occasions. However, every year at some time or other she gave each of her children (5) a quilt, king size, before king size was heard of as all the family are large people. I have the two she gave us when we married. They are still performing well. One rides in our van all the time. Silvia

I have 12 squares that my great great grandmother sewed. They are roughly 12 inches with some pieces as small as my little finger nail. All hand sewn. These are well over 100 years old. Not sure what to do with them. My mom told me I should bring the old to the new and finish it with the sewing machine.
    I also have 2 quilt tops that my MIL hand sewn when she was a very young girl. One is a Sunbonnet Sue.I'm not sure what the name of the other is but it looks like houses, possibly a school house. They are roughly 70 years old. When I told my DH I should finish them he thought they should be framed. I explained to him they are at least queen/king size and we don't have a wall big enough or the money to buy a frame that big. LOL Maybe I will surprise him. Finish one for Christmas and give it to him. My MIL passed away in 2003.
    I will dig all of these out of my cedar chest and post picture's soon. I'm sure all of you great quilters out there can give me some ideas as to what to do with them.

I have a quilt my Grandmother made in the 30's or 40's. It has lots of feedsacks in it. It hangs above my bed as my headboard. I also have one of hers that I finished. All I need to do now is to quilt it.

Blog Entries
    I have a quilt from my Great Grandma, she made it when she was 70. My grandfather died when he was 90 and my mother lived to be 80. My great Grandma died well before I was born so we figure the quilt is about 80 years old. Iam 63. I have posted pic of the quilt just go to my profile and hit list and you will find it. It is a red work album quilt depicting the history of the US. Glenn

We have the quilt that my husband's grandmother pieced by hand when she was 95. It was the last quilt top she did although she lived to 2weeks shy of 10. Also have one his Mom quilted when she was in her middle 80's. Talk about treasures of the heart!!

OOPs 2 weeks shy of 100 years not 10 years..Sorry

Yes, I am fortunate to have a quilt my dad's mother and grandmother made in the 30's. Unfortunately my mom let me use it on my bed when I was growing up ... needless to say it is in pretty rough shape - but I still cherish it. I'll try to attach a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yes I have one finished one she did. and I have 2 tops she didn't get finished. I wish I still had my sunbonnet quilt she made me, I loved that, and would spend hours finding the fabric from our dresses hers, mine and my moms

My mother left us kids several apiece when she passed away.My two aunts made them. While I was living in Oklahoma a lady there took her mother's dresses and had quilts made from them so that all the grandchildren would have something of hers. I thought that was a super idea because sometimes you just don't know what to do with older clothes.
    The children loved them.(they were all grown)

Do you know the name of this quilt (your dearest quilt)? I love it and I know it is so special. I wish I had my grandmothers stuff like that, I do have one of her quilts. It is over 100 yrs. old and I do cherish it highly.

Oh, by the way, the phrase at the bottom on your post, you would not believe how long I have been looking for that quote. It truely describes me. I have been telling my daughters about it and could not find where I put it. So now I have it again. I will try to post my grandmothers quilt. I have to take a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS

I have NEVER seen a quilt like 'Mabel's Quilt.' It's absolutely beautiful. My husband spotted it from across the room and said 'I like that!'

Was your husband's grandma Mabel? I suspect that she designed this herself. There are so many unique things about it - the trailing ivy from the central basket - the inidvidual flowers in the outer border, the W I D E scallops - the twisted ribbon frame. I'm not usually drawn to applique quilts, but this one is VERY SPECIAL.

I can't believe he had his tools wrapped in it. Thank goodness they didn't ruin it!
    The picture doesn't even do it justice, it's absolutely exquisite

I have one, but no history. I'm sure it came from my Mother's family. It is hand pieced with scraps, looks like 30's or 40's. Old cotton batting, which I know I have to get it into the bathtub someday to wash it. I understand why we know now to put some isentification on our quilts.

I have a top that my grandmother made in the 1920's and it has silk flowers appliqued on it. The silk has shredded in some places. I took it to a quilt appraiser to see what I should do with it and she told me that I should make a quilt out of it as is and just enjoy the memories of my grandmother. She said not to try to replace the silk because it would not be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    OK, where, what is the mistake? I can't find it.
    It's in the little squares. One of the entire blocks of squares should have been flipped so that the blue/white/blue/white sequence is closer to the center.

I have 3 quilts my great-grandmother made and hand quilted. Two are double wedding ring made from the same fabrics and one is a pattern no one can figure out the name of. Luckily I have three daughters who will each inherit one.

I have one that I found in my folks house when they passed. I have no idea where it came from. It is not signed and I have never seen it before. I'm thinking it was from my step-dad's side, since no one in my family quilted except me.

Blog Entries
    I had about a lot of quilt tops that were made by my mother's mother or grandmother, that I found in my mother's things after she passed away. I gave my brother some, because his wife at that time sewed. He chose four that he wanted and she said she would finish them, she never did. When they divorced, I was going to finish them but they were no where to be found. We don't know if she gave them away, kept them or threw them away. She didn't know my grandmothers, so they meant nothing to her, but she was mean like that.
    I completed three of the ones I kept and gave one to my husband, and one to each of my children. I have yet to finish the two for myself that I still have. I also have a quilt top of Sun Bonnet Sue that my grtgrandmother made for me when I was young. I have kept it in my cedar chest for years and have finally found fabric for the backing and hope to get it finished this summer, along with all of my other projects to do. If I get it done or the other two I will post picts. when I learn how to do that.

Blog Entries
    Oh! Pamela how lucky you are, would love to see them.

Blog Entries
    Crafty Bear I love the orange quilt, absolutely beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    I love this thread. It is just as good as going to a quilt show. I would like to add a couple pictures and think I finally got it figured out. I really like the one my mom made because it is not a typical grandma's flower garden. Both of these are mostly hand sewn. The blue one does have the binding sewn on by machine.

Made by my grandma before 1951
    Name:  Attachment-75660.jpe
Views: 52
Size:  76.4 KB

Made by my Mom circa 1930
    Name:  Attachment-75746.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  52.2 KB

I don't have any quilts from any one in the family - no quilters. I do have a whole trunk full of crocheted pieces that my grandmother made and several dresser scarves that my mother hand embroidered. I also have a bunch of handkerchiefs that my grandmother crocheted the borders on - some of the borders are two and three inches wide - absolutely beautiful.

Blog Entries
    damaquilts, Who made the sashings? If your grandmother did, I would leve them, that makes it even more special, knowing that a loved one took the time and effort to make it.

Blog Entries
    This one (yellow with embroidered flowers) is just exquisite!

I have one my grandmother made in the 1930's. It is a huge starburst pattern all hand sewn.I do not use it on my beds.
    But on a weird funny note. My mom made my 2 sons quilts out of blue skiing design polyester and flannel backing in the mid 70's. My boys used their quilts up until the time they had their first child. Now both sets of granddaughters still use these same quilts to sleep with. Needless to say they have been restitched by myself, the other grandmother and or a babysitter or two.

Blog Entries
    I have my great grandmothers quilt top (not finished) made out of my great grandfathers silk ties. Some of the material is disingigrating as it was stored in my grandmother's cedar chest. I also have a few squares that she made to complete this quilt top.

The other quilt top is a beautiful star made by my grandmother made. It's a turquoise blue and the star is made up with many different colors. Another work in progress that I must finish.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast