Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine? >

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM

I have a Kenmore Model#158.18023. I think I got it in the mid to late 60s, sewed lots of little girl clothes on it. Mine has the cams also. They are great fun for different stitches and monograms. DD learned to sew on it as a teenager. I started quilting on this 14-15 years ago when DD convinced me to try quilting. After attending a couple of classes at International Quilt Fest Chicago, I fell in love with the BabyLock I was using. Loved some of the things I could do with it that the Kenmore couldn't. I found a new, on-sale because new models were out BabyLock Decorator's Choice at less than 1/2 the price of a new one. I've been using that ever since, but still have the Kenmore--want to have it as a backup or for heavy-duty sewing I may need to do.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM

My mom still sews on her old Kenmore bought probably in the 60s. I learned to sew on that machine in Home Ec. She does repairs, quilts and alterations on it now. It sewed a lot of dresses for prom and homecomings when I was in school.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jackiequilts4fun View Post
Thank you so much, everyone!
I LOVE the warm welcome.
I'm going to try loosening up the screw, and I'm going to watch the video now also!
Can't wait to start sewing on this beauty.
I'm all about a good strong machine.
You're gonna love that baby!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM

I got the problem figured out!!!
Guess what it was?
The WRONG bobbin was in there.
That's how it came to me. And with no manual, how would I know?
Mystery solved.
I kinda wondered when the bobbin case didn't seem to be fully engaging.
It would snap into place but not a strong snap.

With my Viking, I can only use the Husqvarna bobbins,
but fortunately I still have my old Singer machine.
Found one still all wound up, and it worked!
The machine sews GREAT.
I'm still going to have a friend come over this week & look at it.
I want to make sure that it's as good & clean as it looks,
and maybe it could use a drop or two of oil.

Thanks, everyone! :-)
Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 AM

I had one I got as a wedding gift 42 years ago, my daughter has it now. Mine only weighed 9#, but I did everything on it, including slipcovers. It's a great little machine. I kind of wish I hadn't given it away because it would be easier to take to class or quilt group than my Bernina that weighs a ton.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:34 AM

I have a Kenmore from 1968. Their machines were made by White back then and were very well made. Mine is still going strong.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
When you get it up and running, you will love it. I have a 1973 Kenmore that will sew through anything. Unfortunately, my DD fell in love with it and it is now living in her college dorm room 3 hours away. She loves the "vintage look" so she says but she's also made 2 quilts on it. Guess I raised that girl right.
I have (well - my sister has it now and still uses it) a 1973 Sears Kenmore. It still sews wonderful. Makes the best buttonholes!! She knows not to get rid of it and to give it back to me if she no longer wants it.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 AM

I have a 1964 model Kenmore. It has been used to make my son's clothes, (he was always hard to fit with "store bought clothes) my clothes, bridesmaid dresses for several weddings, stuffed toys, and now piecing quilts. It will sew thru denim and such fabric with ease. It is my go to machine. I agree the bobbin loading is a problem... especially with my old fingers. Even tho I have a light weight machine that I use sometimes, I love my old Kenmore best.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 AM

How wonderful of you and your DH to return the sewing machine! You are good people!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My DH brought home a Kenmore this weekend. I was all happy and everything til he told me how he got it. I'm like no no no. One of the guys who works for him let DH have it and all the attachments and the manual for $50.00. Told DH his wife hasn't used if for awhile (?). How long was awhile? Told him to call the guy and found out his wife nearly shot him. This machine was clean as a whistle. Very well kept. She hadn't used it in a couple years because she had a bit of burn out and kids moved back home with grand kids and was inundated with family chaos. They had overtaken her sewing room. She also worked outside the home. She decided recently she was going to start back to sewing because it was good for Christmas gifts and didn't have a lot of money. She didn't know he sold it AND for $50.00. I want an extra sewing machine for a back up but there's no way I'm keeping this one. DH called and we took it back to her. We got our money back (that wasn't the point) she needed her sewing machine. Dh looked at me and said "Guess next time I'll ask why it's being sold and does the owner know it's being sold." She really used that machine. Every curtain and slipcover and quilt/bedcovering and most of the clothes on her kids backs when they were younger were constructed on that machine. The attachments were in a Ziploc. I had an old jewelry box with sections in it. When opened couple bottom drawers would jut out. I put those in the jewelry box and gave to her. She was delighted and thankful.
You are a wonderful person, I would kill my DH if He sold any of my sewing machines without asking me. But them He wouol never do that because he kows how much I love them all. I too have an old Kenmore 50. It sews great but I don't like the fact it has a left needle position and it can't be changed. But it does sew heavy stuff and purrs like a Kitten. It was a gift from My Son and Daughter i Law so it will not be gotten rid of because My Son has since passed away. I keep it now just because. Mt Son passed this July, He was only 43. That machine means so much to me now. Anyway they are very strong machines as a rule.