Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a problem with black fabric fading? >

Do you have a problem with black fabric fading?

Do you have a problem with black fabric fading?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 AM

I have seen several quilts made with a black backing, and some have faded to that smokey dark grayish color.

Is there a way to set the dyes so that a black retains it color without fading? Or will a high quality black fabric resist fading?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 AM

I personally think all fabric in time will fade. Blue jeans, blouses & towels all fade. I just think it is the nature of cotton. It grabs onto alot of color when it's dyed & when it's washed I think it's uncontrollable to loose some color over time. I wash my quilts in cold water & lay them on the bed to dry. I never put mine in the dryer. That makes them fade also. Some fabrics fade more than others too.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 AM

I've noticed also the laundry soap.The bleach in some of the soaps bleach out the colors.I have some dark clothing are fading because of the bleach in the soap.So maybe that is some of it.Connie in CO
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I've noticed also the laundry soap.The bleach in some of the soaps bleach out the colors.I have some dark clothing are fading because of the bleach in the soap.So maybe that is some of it.Connie in CO
This is very true, I do not buy this type of soap for this reason. If I need a bleach alternative, I will add it myself :D:D:D
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

some blacks are more 'stable' than others, the Kona Black is a pretty good black that holds it's darkness well. Black is one of the most difficult (colors) to dye...very hard to get a true black and when you do you never know for how long. everything can have an effect, from sunlight, heat, detergents, lots of variables. but the kona black is a very good one, with very little fading or color runs.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the input! I am really wanting to invest my time and money into creating a nice quilt with a black blackground, but I want to prevent fading as much as possible.

I am wondering, what laundry detergent do you all think has the least bleaching effect?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:05 AM

I have not hit the right combination of back and laundry soap yet. If I really want my back to stay really black , I use a poly blend. I know .. I know ... I can hear some gasping in horror !But it really does maintain its color the best.