Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed???? >

Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed????

Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed????

Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM

I am currently making a quilt and using both open seams and pressed to the side seams. The pattern has so many fabrics meeting in one spot that I followed the GREAT folks on the Quilting Board and allowed myself to sew it anyway that worked. Now, I did make the stitch a tad smaller "just in case" a seam might accidentally try to open itself up in the middle of the night....;-)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 AM

whatever works for the pattern, some require seams to lock and nest for accuracy so you have to press to the side and some have too many seams meeting in the middle so you have to press open. I think its just a matter of consideration of what pattern you are working with as I am sure there are pros and cons to each as with everything
Old 10-18-2014, 12:38 PM

I used to press to the side until I took a modern quilt class where we were instructed to press the seams open.

Ha!

What I discovered is that with the seams pressed open, you can line up the centers to make perfect matching seams every time. Put a pin on the left side right next to the seamline, another pin on the right as far as possible from the seamline but still in the 1/4" seam: then check for accuracy by putting a pin straight down through the center. If it's off by a bit, you only have two pins to remove and reposition.

Works for me!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:46 PM

I have been quilting for over 4 decades , and have always pressed my seams open. I have not had any weakness in the seams. Proceed with confidence. If it really makes you nervous do a few test blocks from scraps of the pattern in mind, join them , and see which method you like best.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:08 PM

I normally press to one side. But I will press open if there are multiple seams coming together, to reduce bulk. And I'll use a smaller stitch length too.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:16 PM

I think ironing toward the darker fabric is a general rule, but I have found that it can't always happen that way, but I always iron to one side. I guess as long as you aren't doing stitch in the ditch it would work with them pressed open.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Binding I press open, also borders. Like most other ladies I press to the side unless a lot of seams meet. I don't worry about seam strength either because remember when we used to sew our own clothes? Most of those seams were pressed open and they held together.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:46 PM

I am a hand quilter as well and also press open. Have not had any issues so far. In fact, hsd to repair a quilt I made my niece several years ago that her dog at a hole. That was the only issue. Thecrest ofbthe seams and guilting were just as good as the day it was given to her and I know it wascwashed countless times.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 PM

I press open and have not had any issues of any kind. And, just like HouseDragon stated you can line up the centers and match perfect seams every time. I make wall hangings and by pressing open, the top lays very flat and that makes it so much easier to do creative quilting.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 AM

I was taught to press seams to one side when I started - back in 1979 we did everything by hand. That continued until one day I saw Shar Jorgenson on tv and she pressed her seams open! I could feel the quilt police breathing down my neck when I tried this and loved it. Well, times change and it's just fine, and yes even necessary depending on the blocks being made. The quilt police have been run out of town (although there are still some quilters that think they know everything and how to quilt the RIGHT and only way!!). Matching seams does get a little more tricky but pins become your friend (and now a bit of glue is just fine to keep the seams together).

Sandy in Mooresville, NC