Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds? >

Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds?

Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I have a cream color comforter on my king size bed with bed skirt. My quilt look great on top of it. I change out my bed quilt often. The cream color comforter works great for all quilt colors.

I'm 5'2" and my washer is on a platform with drain underneath (saved us many flood in the laundryroom) I have a built in stool that folds out from the platform I use to get that last sock in the back of the tub!

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-19-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

We have a double size bed and I have about 6 quilts and 2 comforters that I made for it. I have an off white dust ruffle to go with them. I also make pillow covers to match them. I have made several queen size also. Quilts were always made to cover beds.
Make quilts however you want them and use.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:59 PM

I've made a couple queen sized quilts for my bed. They wrap the top and come down to the bed skirt.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:30 PM

I have one on one queen size guest bed that only covers the mattress, no overhang. On the other queen size guest bed, the quilt does hang over. The mattress is so fat on that bed that the quilt only comes about 6 inches over on each side. I like to change things up, so with the smaller lap size quilts I fold them and put over the foot of the beds. Our king size bed only has lap size quilts folded up on it. I'll use them on the beds as long as they're not wallhangings.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Oh, and I wanted to say that I love boston terriers! And all of my quilts fit in my washer and dryer.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:59 PM

I have made one Queen size quilt for my bed and DH paid to have it hand quilted. It covers the mattress and hangs down 20" on each side, that is 7" off the floor and I am ok with that. I wash it twice a year, spring and fall. I wash is in the bathtub, soak it overnight and scrub, rinse, squish, let drain, take outside in a tub and lay over chairs wrong side out.

I know it's a lot of work but I treasure it. I have others that I do wash in the washing machine but they are not as big or are hand quilted.

We don't always use it to cover at night so most of the time it is folded back at night.
sorry, we have no dogs, only grandchildren that will jump on it.

Last edited by mamagrande; 02-19-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 02-19-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
You can turn a small square throw on point, or fold a larger quilt and place it at the foot for a runner. This way you can add a splash of color without having to make a quilt to fit the whole bed.
Great idea!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:25 PM

I have just finished assembling a quilt top made from blocks hand embroidered by my 89-year-old Aunt. The quilt is a spread for a full-size bed, with enough length for a generous pillow tuck. I made a bed skirt with the white background used for the embroidered blocks and the border from the same fabric as the quilt sashing and borders. Then, to add to that, I made pinch-pleated drapers from the white background fabric, monogrammed with the initial "F" in 6" large script letter, and put the same borders on the drapes as I had on the quilt, and added a valance from the same fabric as the borders. This is going to be quite a room when it's all finished -- I'm waiting for the quilt to be quilted now so I can bind it and hang the drapes, and put the bed skirt on the bed. This will truly be an heirloom because the blocks were embroidered by my Aunt (who is 89) some 30+ years ago. True, I assembled the quilt top, made the bed skirt, drapes and the valance, but this is going to my son. The quilt measures (before quilting) 81" wide by 117" long. Yes, it probably will have to be laundered at the laundromat, instead of my household machine. Jeanette
Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 PM

My friend stores all her finished quilts not in use on her spare bed as well as cushions. She swoops around quilts from time to time so main bed does not always have a quilt going over the sides. The couch also has changes as well.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

I make Cal King quilts 10x10 feet. They hang over on a Cal King bed and some of my kids use a 10x10 feet quilt on their double bed and another a large queen sized quilt on their double bed. I wash my quilts in an energy efficient machine, front load, and have no problems washing them. I have an Innova 26 inch on a 12 foot frame and have no problems quilting it. I have done several 10x10 feet quilts on my Janome 6500, sit down 9 inch opening, it is not my favorite way to do it but it is definitely doable.