Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds? >

Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds?

Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:46 AM

The mattresses themselves have been getting deeper the last few years. We purchased a new mattress set about three years ago and discovered our coverlets no longer cover the mattress. The bed skirt covers the box springs just fine but there are still a few inches of the mattress showing. I found a nice thin bedspread at JC Penney large enough to cover our queen bed all the way to the floor. Now I can still use my quilts as comforters. A happy solution!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:17 AM

I make most all my quilts to come down to the top of my box springs and I use them with a dust ruffle,,,Then I made some to use as my bedcovers
Old 02-20-2016, 05:16 AM

...in the beginning, quilts were made to cover beds and the people in them........that's what 95% of my quilting energy goes to.....
Since I've been quilting...I have not purchased a "bedspread"... That was why I decided to "try" quilting!

i have no animals sleeping in my bed......so I don't have to worry about "nesting".... But one daughter has dog that sleeps in her bed....and she covers her bed and herself, at night, with quilts I have made...but dog side of bed has a dog quilt on top of her bed quilt......

I change out quilts on beds seasonally...airing them either via dryer or fresh air every two weeks...but wash only once a year! With Orvis soap (used on livestock/ very gentle) - top loader, gentle cycle, cold water, low heat dryer for about ten minutes, then outside.

I have added shams to some of my quilts, if I still have "some" of the fab in my stash...this has been an after-thought, but I like the look...so as I change out, if I need to I'll make shams...if I don't have any of the fabric that I initially used, I do solid with heavy quilting...seems to work......

some, I notice, are beginning to "fade" some of the colors....those will be put away and "new" will take its places--and there are enough, have no fear).
btw...walls in bdrms are off white, carpeting is lite gray, window treatments are minis w/off white lace swags, so the various colored quilts are the "punch" of color in those rooms.....just my way
oh, also in each bdrm, there is one of those shelf with quilt rack attached, so there hang three more...
Old 02-20-2016, 05:22 AM

I also make quilts for the top of my bed making them to fit to the box spring which I have a bedskirt on. Works for me and I can enjoy my handiwork.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:56 AM

I have never used a quilt that I, or someone else, has made on the bed, because of the dogs. We do have a down comforter, covered in a duvet, but I still put a sheet over that to keep down the dirt and hair.

I use quilts in the guest room and on the wall (We have cathedral ceilings in the great room, our bedrm and the office.), or for the pull out couch or the grandkids Aero beds (quilts stored in the linen closet).
I did make my mom a full sized bed spread (to the floor on her hospital bed) as that was what I was replacing. It is very heavy though and she doesn't sleep with it over her, but uses the blanket underneath. Is that what you were referring to?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 AM

I have made one queen size quilt and it goes down over the box springs like a bedspread. It's huge and heavy and no way can I wash it at home in my washer. It cured me of wanting to make large quilts. I now use solid purchased spreads and fold a quilt along the bottom of the bed.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 AM

I have white/off-white chenille bedspreads on my beds and I use quilts on top of these. It doesn't really matter what size they are, but most will at least cover the top of the mattress. I have a king and double bed and I'm about ready to buy a twin that I will order a chenille bedspread for. Quilts over 100" are a problem on my longarm and yes the larger quilts are tough to fit in the washer even though I do have an oversized one. Two chihuahuas sleep with us and right now I'm babysitting my son's dogs so we have added two Shitzus (spelling?).
Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM

I have given away all my bed sized quilts but want to make some for the bed. I use some of my DM's quilts as bed spreads as they are to beautiful to cover up The ones I have given away are being used as spreads or wall hangings.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 AM

All of my quilts are used to sleep under and are long enough to cover the sides of the mattress.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:24 AM

I make quilts and 'spreads'. When making a 'spread' I make it large enough to fall over the edge of the bed about 20 inches. For example, a quilt for a queen bed, 60 inches, would be 100 inches for a spread.