Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer to free motion, walking foot, or hand quilt? >

Do you prefer to free motion, walking foot, or hand quilt?

Do you prefer to free motion, walking foot, or hand quilt?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Default Do you prefer to free motion, walking foot, or hand quilt?

I LOVE my walking foot, bought it two weeks ago with a FMQ foot that I haven't used yet. A lot of pretty cool designs can be made with a walking foot and strategically placed straight and curvy lines! Not sure this will be my fav but I'm loving it right now, lol. Have not tried hand quilting and stab myself enough with pins and needles now so I'm a bit wary of that.

So what's your preference? Why?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 AM

I have used my walking foot and my FMQ foot - just depends on how I want to quilt. I really like the look of a cross-hatched quilt using the walking foot. But I have been doing a lot more FMQ and I like that too. So, it just boils down to how I want the quilt to look. I do not hand quilt - just not enough time.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM

I am a middle of the road person ..... it really depend upon my mood and the quilt. I should clarify that my hand quilting has only been 'big stitch' (aka primitive stitch). If I want to finish a quilt 'fast', sometimes I just do a simple grid.

FYI FMQ takes practice and more practice. But once you find your own 'Sweet Spot' (the balance of your speed and movement) it can be easy.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

It takes me too long to hand quilt a quilt. I like my walking foot for straight quilting. I love my FMQ foot for quilting other designs on my quilts. The main advantage of my FMQ foot is I can quilt in any direction without turning the quilt.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 AM

It depends on the type of quilting I want to do. I prefer not to do handquilting. I use the walking foot for straight line quilting, and the free motion foot for FMQ.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 AM

I use the walking foot to machine quilt my Linus donations. For my personal quilts I hand quilt.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM

I only meander so it is the FMQ foot for me, I gave up on stitch in the stitch as I found it too limiting
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
RST

I love fmq-- it's my favorite part of quilting. I do use the walking foot sometimes, but to me it's a functional thing--doesn't make me happy, just gets me there. I like handquilting, but I rarely do it anymore-- I don't have the time, and my hands hurt from overuse, so I have to be careful of repetitive movements, and hand quilting is nothing if not repetitive.

RST
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Walking foot and hand quilting for me. I am not at all artistic when it comes to drawing and doodling, so FMQ is a nightmare for me - literally. I can't sleep thinking about it. I trace all my designs when I hand quilt, so I don't have to be able to draw at all. I only use the walking foot for straight lines.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:31 AM

I've only try 1 item a(quilt panel) that I did the free motion quilting, for my grandson. I never used a walking foot. But maybe someday I will. And try free motion quilting maybe 1 more time. As to hand quilting, I enjoy hand quilting. I could probably hand quilt from morning till night. I may try to hand quilt from morning till night. But most of my morning, and afternoon, I'm sewing up another quilt, or doing stuff around home.