Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer???? >

Do you prefer????

Do you prefer????

Old 04-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Default Do you prefer????

Kits to cutting? I love the idea of a kit with all the pieces already cut in it and ready to go. But, can the ends justify the means? Are the kits worth the price? If so.... what would be your favorite quilt kit?
Old 04-20-2015, 03:09 PM

Most of the kits I've seen aren't precut but just contain the yardage and pattern.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:12 PM

I have never used a kit. I may be missing something but cannot justify when I have a stash.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Yup, you still have to cut with a kit. I've not made one yet, but I did buy one and made sure it was yardage and not precut pieces. I want to be able to pre-wash the fabric.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Precut kits are more expensive expensive, you are paying for the convenience. Only you can determine if the cost justifies. For some people the answer is probably Yes, for others a resounding No. I have purchased a few kits over the years ( not precut) which I bought mainly because I wanted/ loved the pattern and the only way to get it was with the kit, but I found I generally did not like all of the fabrics in the kit and replaced them, so for me ( other than adding to my stash) kits are not cost effective. But, that's me, many people love kits. Do Always read the details of the kit though before purchase.... Most kits are Not precut, some are, and Not all kits include the pattern, sometimes you have to buy that separately. So, read/know what is included, try one out & see if it is worth it to you.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM

The other day I compared the price of a kit to what it would cost if I assembled the fabrics in the shopping cart myself and bought them that way; it was less expensive to buy the kit, and that came with the pattern included.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM

I have never used a kit either. Prefer to pick my own pattern and shop for yardage.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM

One of my friends bought a quilt kit and some of the pieces weren't in it. She was highly upset and called the store she bought it from. Since the kit was done in the store, the owner immediately sent the missing parts. Whoops!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I made one from Joanns about 12 yrs ago. I had to cut out the pieces, but the fabric was there and the colors were picked out for me. it ws fun to do and on the 50% off coupon, it paid to buy it. It was fun, and I did a block a a month.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM

I make lots of quilts from kits; but I have never found a kit where the pieces were pre cut. Tonight, I am busy cutting the fabric in a kit. Several of the fabric pieces are in 1/8 yard WOF. Going to my LQS for 1/8 yd. of fabric is not my idea of fun. Yes, a kit is usually more expensive; but the time I save by not having to search for 16 different fabrics makes it worthwhile for me. I know, making a quilt from a kit is not as creative; but this is a quilt with lots of appliqué and lots of shades of purple. The foster child for whom I am making it will love the quilt and that is important to me. Plus, I am enjoying making the quilt from this kit.