Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer???? >

Do you prefer????

Do you prefer????

Old 04-21-2015, 08:12 AM

*** I like to cut.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
The other day I compared the price of a kit to what it would cost if I assembled the fabrics in the shopping cart myself and bought them that way; it was less expensive to buy the kit, and that came with the pattern included.
That makes sense to me, because by the time I decide that neat jelly roll I got is a perfect fabric line for the next quilt, make sure of what I want for the pattern, then run around sourcing fabric hither and yon to get what I think might be the right quantities, paying shipping charges if the LQS doesn't have the right color or amount, plus extra of some because I might change my mind about what to put where...and a little extra in case I space out while cutting and make a boo-boo...
Oh, yeah, I believe kits could be cheaper! But then I'd miss all the fun and frenzy along the way
Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 AM

The double wedding ring you quilted for me was from a kit and the pieces were already cut out. (What a blessing for me.) But the price was astronomical for my wallet. Luckily hubby bought it. I do not think kits are for me, tho.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM

So far, I haven't found a kit that was going to save me money, so I haven't used a kit. I suppose if the only way I could get a unique pattern and the cost of the quilt was comparable to going out and buying all the fabrics myself, I might consider it. That hasn't happened yet, though.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 AM

I have a lot of un-made kits. Usually I'll get sucked in because I like the fabrics they chose in the store sample. I have a large stash, but I figure it won't look as pretty if I try to put my own fabrics together. The kit fabrics are usually not pre-cut, unless it's a laser cut kit (usually applique).

There are a couple problems with quilt kits. Sometimes the exact same fabrics as the picture or the store sample are not in the kit - annoying if there's a particular one that got my attention. And sometimes I can't tell which fabric is supposed to be used for certain parts of the pattern.

I've actually never figured out the money part of kits. I'm apparently not very economical. They're probably an expensive way to put together a quilt!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 AM

After making a kit recently, I realized it is probably the last one I'll make. For me it was just sewing, none of my own creativity went into it (well, the back only). I enjoy choosing my own fabrics and sometimes I even tweek the pattern a bit, so for me I definitely prefer NO kit :-)
Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** I like to cut.
So do I--one of my favorite parts of making a quilt.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Kits to cutting? I love the idea of a kit with all the pieces already cut in it and ready to go. But, can the ends justify the means? Are the kits worth the price? If so.... what would be your favorite quilt kit?
Connecting Threads kits are priced out by the same price as the yardage in them, so they're cost effective and reasonable. I've bought many smaller kits from them and have always been pleased with what I've received.

Cari
Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 PM

I've never made a quilt from a kit because I've never seen the perfect combo of love the pattern/love every fabric/price. If I DID find the perfect pattern and fabrics in a kit, I think I'd splurge. But generally, picking the fabric is my favorite part!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 PM

I have bought kits if I really like the fabrics and pattern. That being said, I only buy from Craftsy as their pictures are large and the colors and fabrics accurate (unlike one other company's kit that I purchased). I also only buy when on sale.