Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer???? >

Do you prefer????

Do you prefer????

Old 04-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the ladies that like kits. I have never bought one that was pre-cut for you. Honestly, I have never even seen one that is that way. But, I don't think my pocketbook could afford such a luxury.

I have bought a few kits, and I love to convenience of not having to find everything in multiple stores. I still have three quilts I am trying to find one or two fabrics for until they are ready to make. It isn't fun to me. I keep a moderate stash and mostly choose quilts from that.

I also agree with the lady that said she wanted the pattern and the only way to get it was in a kit. I recently bought a round purse pattern like that at connecting threads that was a kit only situation. No matter it was on sale. LOL!
I personally don't see people complaining about the block of the month quilts. Those are for the most part kitted for you by the quilt stores.

I also think there are many new quilters that have a little problem with color ways. This is a good way to learn, don't you think?

I think there is nothing wrong with a kit. It still takes skill to cut, piece and finish it.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:30 AM

Unless I see a kit that is Exactly what I want, I'd much rather choose my own fabrics and make the design decisions myself. I purchased several Thimbleberry kits at a garage sale when I first started quilting. They were super cheap; from $12-20 each, but I'v only made one so far. The rest just aren't my color choices and are too subdued. I thought I'd make them for people who might like those colors, but find I'd rather work with colors I like.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Kits to cutting? I love the idea of a kit with all the pieces already cut in it and ready to go. But, can the ends justify the means? Are the kits worth the price? If so.... what would be your favorite quilt kit?
I used a pre-cut kit at the Artful quilter before they closed for a drunkard's path - (they used Accuquilt Studio die to cut) and they were nice. No cutting curves. John Flynn also uses a laser to cut patterns, not only for his quilt, but he does some for some of the other "big names" in quilting. Those have registration marks and are so accurate it is not funny - but you do pay dearly for the labor involved in cutting, and you do not get your scraps......I still prefer to cut my own...get kits with just the yardage, and then do my thing.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:10 AM

i will buy a quilt kit if it's a unique pattern that i would like to try because i will want to make it again in my own fabric that will cost me more than the kit did. long sentence translated , if it's cheap i'll buy it, do it, and make with more expensive fabric next time. my ddil has small children and they love tablerunners that are for any occasion or season, etc. and the kids can drag around a cheap quilt and use the heirloom one on their bed. haven't tried any pre cut quilts, but if i ever do a mckenna ryan quilt i will definitely want a precision cut kit!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 AM

I don't use quilt kits either, I cut my own. I just finished all the strip piecing for 2 "Saratoga" quilts. I've sewn the strip sets and cut them into 2.5" sections, all that's needed now is to make the blocks. My pattern is by Villa Rosa designs.
Sharon in Texas
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 AM

I've used many kits and I like them. As someone else said, most of the time the price is cheaper than buying fabric, pattern etc. I haven't seen any pre cut but would like to try one. I like the fact that the colors are chosen for me and they coordinate. That being said, I don't have much of a stash to choose from so I would have to purchase everything for any quilt so why not buy a kit and get a jump start
Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 AM

The only kits I have bought were already cut, I just had to assemble them. I bought them from www.fussycutter.com
her kits are very acurate and her instructions are also very easy to follow. Her prices seem very fair to me. I am not affiliated with her in anyway, just a satisfied customer. (She will even cut your fabric for you for a small fee!)
Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM

I'm using a kit for the 2015 BOM on Craftsy & this is my first quilt kit. I am scared blue every time I cut another block for fear I'll make a mistake in cutting and not have enough fabric to finish. At this point, I can tell you I prefer buying yardage so I can get an extra 1/2 yard of each fabric in case of errors. I have no idea how much they included in case of errors. I am more comfortable with yardages, but sometimes it's fun to go outside of your comfort zone!! ;-)
Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

Y kids got me a kit when hubby was sick in ICU thinking would give me busy work, still had to cut pieces, guess where it's at? Still in pkg!! Want it??? Lol
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Y kids got me a kit when hubby was sick in ICU thinking would give me busy work, still had to cut pieces, guess where it's at? Still in pkg!! Want it??? Lol
I do I do I need anything free or cheep I can get & I like kits. I'm not very good at putting colors together. LOL
Jeri