Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain? >

Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain?

Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM

a note here: ripping (tearing) lengthwise will always give you a straight grain. it's the widthwise grain that will not be at right angles to the selvedge. (WOF). see other threads on this subject.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I do for borders. Its just easier or if I am making something like dog crate covers. Measure Rip, Measure , Rip. I have a rectangle the right size. Its so much easier than trying to cut the right size. Backing if I have to piece one, rip. Sometimes if I am really lazy I will rip strips for sashings just a little wider then cut them even. I find I don't get that V in the middle like I do if I cut from the bigger piece. And I have starched Ironed straightened smoothed till I am blue in the face and still get the V.
I have always ripped , I think because I use to work in a fabric shop long,long ago that had the measuring machines that clipped , then we tore.
Oh you are bringing back memories now! I had forgotten about those old fabric measuring machines. They would line it up on the edge of the fabric, somehow mark that and pull it through the machine and it would measure the length of the fabric as they pulled it through. Then they would clip it and rip the fabric.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
I was taught to get the straight of grain this way.......

Fold the fabric selvage to selvage. Then hold it out in front of you. If there is a distinct bump or fold along the folded edge, then manipulate the selvage edges by scooching them along, one in one direction and the other in the other direction, until the fold disappears and the fabric lays flat. Then even off the cut the edges with a ruler and a rotary cutter.

Works every time!
I do the same thing and have never had a problem.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM

I do not tear my fabric to "straighten" it. I press the fabric first then I hold the 2 selvege edges together and let the fabric hang. Then I move the 2 selvege edges back and forth until the fabric hangs straight with no "swoosh" or bend. Then I lay the fabric on my cutting mat with the fold away from me, smooth the fabric and fold the selveges to the fold and hold up to make sure there is no swoosh. Then I clean cut one side. I learned this method a long time ago from Mary Ellen Hopkins and it has rarely disappointed me. I do not prewash either. One exception-when I want lengthwise grain pieces for borders I do tear them.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Yep thats the best!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Always.