Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain? >

Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain?

Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 PM

I rip. I cant seem to cut straight even with a ruler :|
Old 07-07-2011, 03:54 AM

Yes I do then I press and fold and trim the brused end. I am a stickler for cutting on grain... just me.. I think part of this is from being a garment sewist.
ConnieF
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 AM

sometimes i do depends on my project because oftewn times i barely have enough :-D
Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 AM

I have heard of it and had one teacher demonstrate the ripping. However, I don't - if it's good enough for Fons & Porter, Eleanor Burns, Alex Anderson, my LQS teacher - it's good enough for me.

At a shop hop, one of the stores did rip the fabric. I thought all the bolts looked funny with strings hanging out!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
years ago, no stores cut fabric. the edge was clipped and then the fabric ripped - straight of grain every time. i hate the way some shops cut the fabric on their grid, and don't give you an extra 1/4 inch either, btw. then, when you get home and wash that fabric, it will straighten up and you are left with angular pieces on each end. that's why i always buy extra fabric and consider it part of the cost of the item i am making.
I remember that well. We had a store in New Orleans called Krauss which was family owned and almost an entire floor of the store was dedicated to fabric. They measured using a machine that they passed the fabric through with a dial for the yardage and a lever that made a small cut - then they ripped at the yardage point you were purchasing. The fabric was never as off as the fabric is today as almost all fabric is cut instead of ripped. I usually rip if I have enough fabric.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I guess I don't understand how it doesn't make it more off grain. I mean, ripping something should distort the rest of the fabric, so doesn't ripping make it worse?
You have to take hold of opposite corners and strech the fabric to square it up after you rip it - USUALLY. I have been doing this since I was in 7th grade (1952) and took my first sewing class and has always worked for me.
Take care.
Linda
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Google Goddess

thanks

Originally Posted by mshollysd
The way I learned in Homeec is to pull a thread across the grain, and cut along this thread. This gives you a true edge. Then when you place the fabric down smooth (selvedges together) if that edge is not lined up (the selveges) on the end, you need to stretch the fabric on the bias all the way down until it is straight. This way there is no distortion. Now since I have been making quilts and my pieces are so small, not a problem, however if you are making borders, can be a problem if the weave is off.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
thanks

Originally Posted by mshollysd
The way I learned in Homeec is to pull a thread across the grain, and cut along this thread. This gives you a true edge. Then when you place the fabric down smooth (selvedges together) if that edge is not lined up (the selveges) on the end, you need to stretch the fabric on the bias all the way down until it is straight. This way there is no distortion. Now since I have been making quilts and my pieces are so small, not a problem, however if you are making borders, can be a problem if the weave is off.
You did a much better explanation than me, Craftybear,. Take care.
Linda
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM

fabric today ALMOST never comes to you at a 90* angle. if you rip, you'll go on grain, but it won't necessarily be on square to the selvedge. ripping also weakens the fabric around the tear further sideways out than you would think at first glance.

as a dressmaker, i was also taught to rip. as a quilter, i don't think it's important, as long as the bias pieces, such as curves, are on bias.

today we quilt the pieces down enough to hold everything in place. and by starching, we have good control of the fabric, in fact, better control than ripping and then not using starch.
if you look at antique quilts, you'll see that grain was not as important as getting the most out of all the fabric, and they held up well.

why is this so important in today's world? if you really want to construct a quilt as they were made originally, you would have to put away your featherweights and get out your thimbles.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
ns

I bought some fabric 90" wide. The quilt shop owner told me to rip it before I started cutting strips so they would be even. I did some and a couple I did not and the fabric was wavy on the ones I did not rip. I will rip to even all my fabric now. I do not need to waste strips.