Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do You Think A Rag Quilt Would Be Alright For A 2 Year Old?

Do You Think A Rag Quilt Would Be Alright For A 2 Year Old?

I found the cutest flannel fabric and instantly thought about my 2 year old grandson. I know a rag quilt isn't a good idea at all for infants but what do you think about giving one to a 2 year old? I'm thinking I should bind the edges instead of fraying them to keep the frays inside the boundary of the quilt. Was also thinking of making the seams 1/2" instead of a full 1" like I did mine. So what do you think?
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Blog Entries
    I think the rag quilt is great without the bindings. I put solid flannel on the back and then appliqued designs on it so that it was two sided. The parents also loved it.
    Judy

Instinctively I would say no. There are 2 year olds who are still babies and there are 2 year old who are all "grown up" to be toddlers. I would wait until they are 3 or 4.

Does he chew on things?

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Does he chew on things?
    No. He's never been one to put things in his mouth but that's why I was thinking binding it would be better than fraying the outside edges.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Instinctively I would say no. There are 2 year olds who are still babies and there are 2 year old who are all "grown up" to be toddlers. I would wait until they are 3 or 4.
    Then maybe I'll finish it and put it aside for him when he gets a little older.
    Kim

Blog Entries
    I think Candace makes a valid point about the chewing, and therefore I agree with you on binding the edges and using 1/2" seam. Most kids like touchy feelly things and I think the inner fraying would be great for them. Also most kids that still chew, chew on the edges of things; blankets, hems, collars, etc.
    Joyce

I've still got a couple of days work on it so I think I'll bind it, use the 1/2" seam to fray and let my son and daughter-in-law know to not let him have it at night but during the day so they can make sure he's not going to chew on it. I love the one I made for myself and I know he will too because they are so soft and cuddly.

I appreciate you for giving your opinions. That's the great thing about this forum. You have other's to bounce off your ideas and questions. Thanks!!
    Kim