Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a machine binding foot? Please share your experience

Do you use a machine binding foot? Please share your experience

Like many of you, binding is not my favorite part of the quilting process. I'm thinking about purchasing a machine binding foot: http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-Bi...ds=binder+foot

This is video showing how to use one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l66S5VOEEFc

Do you have experience with such a foot? Was it a generic foot or was it specific to your make of machine? (I'll have to use a generic.) Do you like how it works? Does it handle the width of a quilt binding strip? Does it handle the depth of the quilt sandwich? Does it work with a variety of quilt battings, or just the thinner ones? Any tips about using it?
    Thanks for any insight you can provide!
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

Blog Entries
    I have one for the 7700 but I have never used it. My husband bought it for me. Someday I will have someone demo it for me. - mine does not look like that one though. That looks like its for the binding that your buy premade

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've never seen one used. It looks interesting. I'll be watching for responses because I'm always looking for a way to get out of hand stitching the binding but have not found one I can make look good.

Blog Entries
    There was a thread about this not too long ago. Binding is my least favorite part of quilting but it is also the best part because after it is on the quilt, I know the quilt is done! I purchased a binding foot for my Janome and I got to tell you, I could NEVER get it to work! I think I have the one you are looking to buy. It is probably operator error but I just can't get it to work like it does in the video. It must not be that important to me or I would have it out, playing and practicing with it. I have also given up sewing both sides of the binding down by machine. I just sew the front part by machine and then hand sew the back side. I could never get it to line up and look nice doing it by machine.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I've never hard of it either but think it talks about using bias tape so don't know if it could be used with your owm fabric.

Blog Entries
    Here's the catch--notice they are using "single" layer of fabric? I could make it work with the single layer but when you cut your fabric 2 - 2 1/2 inches and "fold" in half it doesn't work so good...
    Bernie

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I just use my walking foot, both to sew the binding on, and to turn it and sew down for the final step. I use a 1990s Bernina 1031.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

They are not a simple as it looks.... maybe I did not give it enough practice... but neither my Mom or me like it very much. I use the same method Jan said.

I have a binding foot for my Bernina. It works well on the straight part, but turning, mitering the corners is not easy. I have seen it done by someone who really knew what they were doing so it is possible.

Sewing with Nancy had a demo on her show.
    It did great for straight binding but you cant do mitre corners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast