Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a machine binding foot? Please share your experience >

Do you use a machine binding foot? Please share your experience

Do you use a machine binding foot? Please share your experience

Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Do you use a machine binding foot? Please share your experience

Like many of you, binding is not my favorite part of the quilting process. I'm thinking about purchasing a machine binding foot: http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-Bi...ds=binder+foot

This is video showing how to use one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l66S5VOEEFc

Do you have experience with such a foot? Was it a generic foot or was it specific to your make of machine? (I'll have to use a generic.) Do you like how it works? Does it handle the width of a quilt binding strip? Does it handle the depth of the quilt sandwich? Does it work with a variety of quilt battings, or just the thinner ones? Any tips about using it?
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 PM

I have one for the 7700 but I have never used it. My husband bought it for me. Someday I will have someone demo it for me. - mine does not look like that one though. That looks like its for the binding that your buy premade
Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 PM

I've never seen one used. It looks interesting. I'll be watching for responses because I'm always looking for a way to get out of hand stitching the binding but have not found one I can make look good.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM

There was a thread about this not too long ago. Binding is my least favorite part of quilting but it is also the best part because after it is on the quilt, I know the quilt is done! I purchased a binding foot for my Janome and I got to tell you, I could NEVER get it to work! I think I have the one you are looking to buy. It is probably operator error but I just can't get it to work like it does in the video. It must not be that important to me or I would have it out, playing and practicing with it. I have also given up sewing both sides of the binding down by machine. I just sew the front part by machine and then hand sew the back side. I could never get it to line up and look nice doing it by machine.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM

I've never hard of it either but think it talks about using bias tape so don't know if it could be used with your owm fabric.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Here's the catch--notice they are using "single" layer of fabric? I could make it work with the single layer but when you cut your fabric 2 - 2 1/2 inches and "fold" in half it doesn't work so good...
Old 09-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I just use my walking foot, both to sew the binding on, and to turn it and sew down for the final step. I use a 1990s Bernina 1031.

Jan in VA
Old 09-16-2012, 06:19 PM

They are not a simple as it looks.... maybe I did not give it enough practice... but neither my Mom or me like it very much. I use the same method Jan said.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM

I have a binding foot for my Bernina. It works well on the straight part, but turning, mitering the corners is not easy. I have seen it done by someone who really knew what they were doing so it is possible.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 AM

Sewing with Nancy had a demo on her show.
It did great for straight binding but you cant do mitre corners.