Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use a Rolling Quilt Wall? >

Do You Use a Rolling Quilt Wall?

Do You Use a Rolling Quilt Wall?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Question Do You Use a Rolling Quilt Wall?

I am a fairly new quilter and am having trouble getting a smooth backing on my quilt sandwich. I am using the table and binder clip method taught in my quilting class, but still get lots of tucks in my backing after quilting. I have been researching other methods and saw a Roberts Rolling Quilt Wall online that looks really interesting. However it is made in England and quite expensive, and who knows how much the shipping would be. So I am wondering if any of you know of something like it in the US? I tried taping my backing to the wall with blue painters tape but it kept falling down so gave up on that.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I'm not familiar with the rolling wall that you have mentioned.

When you sandwiched yours, did you use basting spray? or did you pin it?
When I have sprayed, I have not had tucks/puckers in the backing.
Just a thought!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 AM

I put poster board from the Dollar Tree on a large wall (used small finishing nails...and taped the pieces of poster board together)--that is my design wall and it works great for sandwiching quilts. I had planned to put flannel on it, but never got that far, so I just use pins to hold it on the wall. I spray-baste quilts, and the poster board protects the wall from the spray. Cheap solution that works!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

John Flynn had a sort of what I might call a rolling frame for quilting. It surprised me that he invented something for machine quilting since he was always known for his hand quilting. You might check out his website and see if he still sells them. There is one for sale on eBay for $119.00 called John Flynn Multi frame quilting. I just Google "John Flynn quilting" and it will show a picture of him using this item. Good Luck !!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM

I have 2 pieces of 4x9 ft thick insulation. I duct taped the two together like a hinge so I could have it folded up and save space til I need the whole thing. A friend helped me and we sprayed with an office type spray on the insulation then gently rolled on the batting.

It doesn't roll ... but I sewed a bit of clear table cloth to fit as a bottom protector and now slide it around the studio as needed. If I need more space I take off the vinyl bottom and open it up, place my blocks, take a picture, label my blocks and rows, then fold it back up. Most of the time I just use the 4x4 ft size anyway. It covers a little alcove I have made especially for my serger and quilting books.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I have used the Elmer's Washable Glue for basting. I dilute it 1/2 and 1/2. spread it with a wide bristle brush a section at a time starting from the middle. Spread out little more as a I go. After I'm satisfied all is basted, I hit it with a blow dryer then a fan for about 30 mins to an hour.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

here's a link to the product the OP speaks of http://robertsrollingquiltwall.com/
The picture toward the bottom looks like an old-fashioned window shade.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I have no experience with this product. I too had puckers in my quilt sandwich until I switched from pin basting to Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. It is kind of a pain to iron it full size on my basement floor but I have been happy with the results. I would never go back to pin basting over fusible batt or 505 basting spray. Some people do Elmer's glue basting but I have not been too successful yet with that.
I would try a different basting method before going to the expense of ordering the wall myself.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. I would try some of the other ideas here first before going to the $ for the wall.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM

My design wall - which I also use to layer up smaller quilts is a roller blind with a flannel type fabric attached and the blocks just stay put - when I am layering up a quilt I tend to use a few pins across the top because of the weight