Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody have advice... >

Does anybody have advice...

Does anybody have advice...

Old 04-30-2016, 04:36 AM

I have a friend who bought a brothers machine from Costco and she like it.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Just make sure that if there is a problem with the machine, what is the window of return at Costco??
The window of return at Costco is forever. I was there one day when the lady told me people returned a washer and dryer after 5 years because they didn't like them!!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I have a Brother SQ9000, and I love it. Will be 6 years old in July and has never been to the repair shop. If it's a Brother, I would go for it.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

An award winning quilter was at our guild doing a workshop. Someone asked her what machine she used. She hesitated and said Ok but this will make a lot of people mad. She said she was fmqing a quilt on a deadline and her expensive big brand name machine quit working. She was in a panic so at midnight she was at Walmart buying a Brother machine and she was still using it after four years. She said her expensive machine is sitting in a closet unfixed. She said the Brother machine cost less then the maintenance charge to clean her big machine.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 AM

I bought a Brother from Wal Mart 8 years ago & love it!
Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 AM

I was always leery about buying online but I took the plunge on another model of the Brother machine from Costco. I use it mostly for adding large borders and binding onto my quilts as I have it sitting at one end of my cutting table. I even bought another one of the same model for a friend who's learning how to make a quilt. He likes it too. My model was the XR3140 and I was able to purchase the 2nd one for $40 less one week after I ordered mine. Haven't had any issues with either machine.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 AM

Many have brothers from costco and walmart without any issues. I got mine from walmart, still going strong 5 years later
Old 04-30-2016, 01:14 PM

I like buying anything at Costco. Usually they warranty for at least 1 year. As well, I make my purchases on a mastercard that doubles the warranty. Check your credit card for what it includes.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:53 PM

Please don't buy a cheap machine at costco! Go to your local dealer & tell them what you'd like & your budget. They WILL help you find a better quality machine & actually care about you as a person. The fact that you can return a cheaply made machine when it breaks (& it will) is no benefit. Talk to your local dealer. They actually care about your success & satisfaction
Old 04-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by franklindixie View Post
Please don't buy a cheap machine at costco! Go to your local dealer & tell them what you'd like & your budget. They WILL help you find a better quality machine & actually care about you as a person. The fact that you can return a cheaply made machine when it breaks (& it will) is no benefit. Talk to your local dealer. They actually care about your success & satisfaction
please don't diss our lovely low end Brothers! They have served many of us for long periods of time with no issues and work straight out of the box. And not all dealers think about customer satisfaction. I speak from experience with 3 different low end Brothers all of which are nice machines with a good stitch and not fussy about thread or thick fabrics. I sorry you had trouble with yours