Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone do this anymore?

Senior Member HomespunHandmaiden's Avatar
    Does anyone pay to have quilts hand-quilted anymore? Especially with huge machines that will do the work will people still pay for the good old-fashioned hand-work?

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    Does anyone pay to have quilts hand-quilted anymore? Especially with huge machines that will do the work will people still pay for the good old-fashioned hand-work?
    Yes! I do.
    To me not every quilt is a candidate for LAQ or DSM.
    Some cry out to be handquilted.

I do hand quilting for other people, not as much as I used to, but I am sending one off tomorrow and picking up another one at the Post Office, so I am happy.

I live near Amish country and have a lady that is begging for hand quilting work. My hands are not what they used to be so if I want the thing hand quilted that is what I have to do. My dream is to make a quilt worthy of Charishmah to quilt for me. Her work is so beautiful!!

I haven't recently but did have a Double Wedding Ring done by an Amish lady. It was a wedding gift for my daughter and I wanted it to be really special and perhaps a family heirloom.

Senior Member HomespunHandmaiden's Avatar
    How much do people typically charge for hand-quilting?

I love to hand quilt, but my time is so limited now. If it were affordable, I'd pay for hand quilting. I've just always assumed otherwise.

I had two quilted in the past when my husband was seriously injured at work and I couldn't get the lone star tops I had pieced for my sons finished for Christmas. (One of the quilts was treated as a keepsake and the other one got used and loved to rags.)

I completed a top from blocks begun by a friend's mother and grandmother 70 years ago. I recently found a woman to quilt on it because such an heirloom deserves hand work and I'm just not getting to it. I quilt by hand and with my Singer.

My aunt has hers hand quilted since she sews hers by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    I live near Amish country and have a lady that is begging for hand quilting work. My hands are not what they used to be so if I want the thing hand quilted that is what I have to do. My dream is to make a quilt worthy of Charishmah to quilt for me. Her work is so beautiful!!
    I, too, wish to make a quilt worthy of sending off to Charishmah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast