Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have an idea??????how to put a quilt block on foam core????

Blog Entries
    I was at the local quilt shop today and saw a beautiful quilt block(12") placed on a foam core board. It looked as if the seams were pressed into the foam core(no sewing). Does anyone have a pattern or any idea how to do this. Several years ago I saw this at an Amish quilt shop.

Blog Entries
    My sister in law has one of these on her fireplace wall. It was purchased as a kit, but the pattern transferred to the core board and then you took a dull knife and pushed the fabric into the core board following the pattern.

Blog Entries
    They use precut foam. You use a knife or that type of tool to push the fabric into the slits. They were quite popular years ago.

I made one many years ago, the foam was not precut -- I just pushed it in with a knife like Murphy described. it woudl be easier with foam core that has the depressions.

I think it is called "quilt magic" and sold by Mary Maxim here is a website to try:

http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/...616700771_-1_Y

Blog Entries
    Here's an example of what you're talking about (I think!)

It's called Quilt Magic

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...4/product.html

It's the same way they make the quilted looking ornaments on round styrofoam balls.
    You take a piece of styrofoam, yes it comes in sheets. Lay out the shape of fabric with extra seam allowance, then just use a table knife and push it into the foam.
    I bet there are even directions on the internet for free. Maybe even on Quiltingboard. Go check out tutorials.
    Note: I would practise on a cheap piece of scrap styrofoam first.
    Kat

here's the Quilt Magic "photo-instruction" page:
    http://www.redbudcountrystore.com/photo_instructions/

I saw something similar to what you are talking about in a shop at the Davis Mercantile building in Shipshewana, IN. You might be able to Google that and see if you could get some info. If I remember correctly, there was some sort of a knife like tool that one used to push the fabric down into the foam board. I thought they were kind of neat looking but did not purchase any of the kits.

That is the type Liz but you don't need to buy the kits. 30+ years ago we made round styrofoam ball ornaments doing the exact same method. But we did it much cheaper with our own styrofoam and a plastic knife or dull kitchen table knife.
    I forgot to mention that you normally push in the first time very lightly, to be sure you have positions where you want them. Then you push in the next color to it, and do it alittle deeper this time.

Kat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast