Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone have the nook color and read quilting books on it? >

Does anyone have the nook color and read quilting books on it?

Does anyone have the nook color and read quilting books on it?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 PM

I just got one for Mother's day and was looking at the b&n store on it. It recommended this quilt book and I was surprised because Amazon has very few quilt books for the kindle so I figured it was the same for the nook. But before I splurge on it (it was the one by Elizabeth Hartman called The Practical Guide to Patchwork) I wondered how they are to read and use on the Nook Color. I'm pretty sure there's no applique in it so there wouldn't be patterns to worry about.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 AM

I am not sure what you asking about, I have a Nook but not a color one. I think that the color would be MUCH BETTER for seeing the quilts & descriptions and such in true color than my B&W would be.

I LOVE mine, I save it for hospital stays and traveling b/c I can buy most of my books at 1/2 price book store for 1/2 the price of what it costs to download them.

You'd think that downloading would be cheaper than purchasing the acutal book, but I have not found that to be the case with the Nook. But again, I still enjoy mine!

HTH
Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 AM

thanks. What I'm asking is if anyone has read a quilt book on it and thinks it is easy enough to not only read but use to make a quilt from the book.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I have an Ipad with Kindle for Ipad loaded. I got a couple of quilting books that were labeled 'ebook' from Amazon, and they came over in color. I loved them! Then I ordered a newer title, it was listed as an ebook, not a kindle edition. It came over in B&W and basically was not usable. I had to break down and get a hardcopy. I read the info on all the books carefully and there was no mention of color or B&W on any of them. If you are sure the book will come over in color, I would go for it, but if it's B&W, well, it's just not worth it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Oh, I am so excited because I am getting a Nook Color tomorrow - I love reading - my friend showed me hers and I was surprised how much you could do with it. I can't wait to get mine. So, sorry no answere here now but soon I will have one and find out...
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I recently had jury duty with a gal that works as an editor for a publishing company. They are working at converting books to eBooks. She was explaining to me that books with pictures are very labor intensive to convert. Some of the stumbling blocks are the index and making sure that the pictures are linked to the correct text. Picture books will be slow in coming and be more expensive than one thinks. My SIL has and sells the color Nook and thinks it is far better than the other eReaders. just his opinion, of course.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM

I'm such a untech nerd. I thought you were asking about a nook that you have for babies, you know, a pacifier. Well there's your laugh at my expense. I don't mind a bit. I laugh at me all the time. Obviously, I have no advice on this topic.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM

with the upgrade they just did the color is so much better; you can order games for really cheap; under $5 and there is a free inner-active calendar so that you can use it like an organizer as well which is really easy touse. the color is great on the kids books and cook books that I've seen. If nothing else Barnes and Noble has a 14 day return policy. The best thing is that unlike Kindle and Sony and some others; Barnes and Noble don't lock it down so that you can only buy books from them. You can get free books from B/N, the library and google and alot of other websites. Have fun
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 AM

I decided to try the sample of the book. At least half was the junk at the very beginning, like the publisher info, dedication, title, etc. Then it was several pages of table of contents and some basics. There were very clear pics though but it never got past the basics so it's hard to tell still. I may give it a try.