Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone read (or listen to) Quilt Fiction books?

Post Does anyone read (or listen to) Quilt Fiction books?

I enjoy reading fictional stories about quilters. Please share your suggestions for books and/or authors you enjoy!

I love the Elm Creek Quilters novels by Jennifer Chiaverini. A friend has all 15 of them and I am working my way through them, you need to read them in order as they all follow on.

I am addicted to audiobooks but haven't listened to any quilting ones.

I have also enjoyed several of the Elm Creek series. Lucky you to have access to 15, Breton girl.

I recently finished up the entire Elm Creek Quilt series - it's actually a total of 20 books and it was fabulous! In fact, I'm currently selling the entire lot on ebay. Through reading the series I've discovered an unknown interest in civil war history - who would have thought? I highly recommend them.

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I've read the Elm Creek books too. I think the historical ones are really the best in the series.

Sandra Dallas has several books that center around quilters. I loved The Persian Pickle Club and her middle grade book, The Quilt Walk.

Here are some quilting fiction books I've read recently:

Fool’s Puzzle by Earlene Fowler
    The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter
    Wild Goose Chase by Terri Thayler
    A Stitch in Time by Ann Rinaldi
    The Lover’s Knot by Claire O’Donohue
    Forget Me Knot by Mary Marks
    Murder, Plain and Simple by Isabella Alan

Most of these are the first of a series. I really loved the Murder, Plain and Simple series and I listened to that one on audible.

Happy quilting everybody!

I have read a few and have enjoyed the at the light reading level-just like other fiction that is available. I like more substantive stuff most of the time. I like non-fiction, history, politics, etc. I like to read but I would rather quilt-most of the time.

I enjoyed The Cobble Creek series and other books by Marie Bostwick. (A Single Thread, and other similar titles.) In one of these books the protagonist opens a quilt shop if memory serves me.

Elizabeth craig, Terri thayer, anniescatalog.com quilting mysteries, mary marks, Arlene sachitano, Isabella allen, Claire o'Donahue
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I've also read all of the Jennifer Chaiverini and Elm Creek books. I would love to find other quilting fiction books I enjoy as much as her books, so will be watching this thread for ideas.
    Shannon

I have read some of the Elm Creek books, The Lost Quilt, the Hawaian quilt. Those two had a lot of history that I enjoyed. I am now reading Earlene Fowler books..She is a fellow Californian and most of her story mention cities or areas that I am familiar with. Other books series that I started was a knitting books by Maggie Sefton..they were fun. I am an avid fan of Nicolas Sparks and have read/share all his books with family and also most of Jenette Oke books. I don't read as much as I use to..am trying to work on my stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
    I enjoyed The Cobble Creek series and other books by Marie Bostwick. (A Single Thread, and other similar titles.) In one of these books the protagonist opens a quilt shop if memory serves me.
    Love Cobble Creek series and Elm Creek series...the best...

While I have not personally read her books I'm going to give a "shout out" to Ann Hazelwood of St. Charles, MO. Past owner of "Patches" Quilt shop for many years and President of National Quilt Museums Board of Directors, I'm told her books are filled with history, mystery and quilts. I lived in St. Charles for many years and shopped in her establishment almost on a weekly basis for years. The shop has now closed, but she is still writing from what I've heard.

I too love the Elm Creek Quilters and listen to them, borrowed from my local library. Although there is some building of relationships and events, you do not need to listen to them in order. The author does start off in a clear building of story but then in another book will return to previous eras/generations. I have favorites that I love to hear over and over again. The characters are like old friends who stop by now and again and it is fun to listen to their tales again, even if you heard those stories before.

I now follow this author into some of her historical novels. Still often contain sewing and mentions of quilting but not to the level of Elm Creek.

I will be looking for the recommendations of other on our board. Always up for a good read/listen.

Elm Creek series and the Cobble Creek series
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    While I have not personally read her books I'm going to give a "shout out" to Ann Hazelwood of St. Charles, MO. Past owner of "Patches" Quilt shop for many years and President of National Quilt Museums Board of Directors, I'm told her books are filled with history, mystery and quilts. I lived in St. Charles for many years and shopped in her establishment almost on a weekly basis for years. The shop has now closed, but she is still writing from what I've heard.
    I have recently discovered Ann Hazelwood's books and am on the second in the Colebridge series. Light, fun reads.

Blog Entries
    I love the Ann Hazelwood books. I am reading the 6th book and have the 7th ready to go when I finish the 6th. I take them with camping and can't lay them down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    She has at least three different series and they are all wonderful.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

My favorite author is Sandra Dallas, notably The Persian Pickle Club and Prayers for Sale. She weaves quilting into western (mostly Colorado) history. Also, some of Tracy Chevalier's books have quilting in them - The Last Runaway was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post

Here are some quilting fiction books I've read recently:

Fool’s Puzzle by Earlene Fowler
    The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter
    Wild Goose Chase by Terri Thayler
    A Stitch in Time by Ann Rinaldi
    The Lover’s Knot by Claire O’Donohue
    Forget Me Knot by Mary Marks
    Murder, Plain and Simple by Isabella Alan
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]

Most of these are the first of a series. I really loved the Murder, Plain and Simple series and I listened to that one on audible.
    oddly enough most of these on kindle are on sale today! July 2 2018 Win win!

Mary Marks is another author that writes cozy mysteries involving quilting. Very good series.

Blog Entries
    I love reading on my Kindle and the library has many titles to choose from but none of the quilting series books that have been mentioned are available in e reader format. Does any one know of any that are, I have a hard time reading books unless they are large print and do prefer to read on my tablet. Any quilt related e book suggestions will be most welcome and appreciated.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I love the Elm Creek books! I also love the Benni Harper series of books from Earlene Fowler. Someone mentioned Fool's Puzzle, but there are a whole bunch of them in the series, almost all titled with the name of a Quilt Block.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I really have enjoyed the Harriet Truman/Loose Threads series (about 10 books) by Arlene Sachitno. I met the author at the AQS conference/show in Paducah in April.

I like Sandra Dallas, my favorite book is Prayers for Sale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast