Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you read a good (fiction) Quilting Book lately?

Have you read a good (fiction) Quilting Book lately?

I would like to find a good fiction book about quilts/quilters. Any suggestions. I have read the Earlene Fowler series and loved them, ready to move on..

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have you read the Elm Creek Quilt series by Jennifer Chiaverini? Also, Vannetta Chapman has a series (or maybe more than one) that are quilt related.

Marie Bostwick has a series of 4 or 5 that are really good.

I have not read the Elm Creek Series, wondered if anyone had and if they were good. I will look into them. Thanks.

Yes the elm creek series if good.....the first few...then it got boring to me, anyway.....

Most libraries carry the Elm Creek Series. Check with your local one.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Clare Donohue has a really good series. We used to have a quilt novel book club on the board but the lady who started it dropped it. I really enjoyed it.

The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini .... simple mystery, don't remember much about it but it must have been ok. She writes the Elm Creek series.

Jane Peart writes a Christian fiction American quilt series of books. I skimmed one or two of them but did not read the whole book.

Threading the Needle by Marie Bostwick .... it was easy reading and held my interest. She has also written other
    books with a quilting theme.

Both Earlene Fowler and Teri Thayer wrote several books centered around women and quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaDonna View Post
    I have not read the Elm Creek Series, wondered if anyone had and if they were good. I will look into them. Thanks.
    I have read and have every book (audiobook). Love them. Jennifer Chiaverini is marvelous. You have to start at the beginning , however, so you can follow the characters in the book. They are wonderful. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I do not take the time to read much, I guess I will get myself some audiobooks would be great while sewing.

Read all the Elm Creek books and loved them. There are a lot of them so use the library.
    Just finished the Potting Shed Quilt and the Basement Quilt. Not bad worth reading.
    Read others but don't remember the titles, all ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Yes the elm creek series if good.....the first few...then it got boring to me, anyway.....
    I agree! First couple were good, then I lost interest.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Sandra Dallas writes several novels and some of them are quilt related. I really enjoyed her "Alice's Tulips."

Sandra Dallas has references to quilting in her books, I love Prayers for sale.

Read up to book 15 in Elm Creek Series. Very upset now because I do not have the ending about the young mom having twins. Even sent a quilt block --made in purples for the charity quilts being made. You voted by color of block. Can anyone please pm me the sex of the babies. I will be going to Fl next week and hope to get some books to read but I still would like to know . Went on web site --couldn't get answer.
    I too like these kind of books but not reading much now. Will now try these other authors. Thanks

thanks for all the feedback. I really like the idea of a audiobook so I can continue to quilt...... too many things i want to do (read, quilt, sleep!) and not enough time

BCM
    Agree with Geri B.

Do you like murder mysteries? The Benni Harper series by Earlene Fowler is very good. There is also a series by Terri Thayer, who is also a quilt teacher. Arlene Sachitano (?) and Emilie Richards both have a series.

The first 3 authors write murder mysteries, while Emilie Richards writes a mystery (more human nature) series.

You can also query your local library's website or google the internet for other books. I read so much since we retired that I use the library rather than spend money on books. I use that money on fabric and supplies .
    Last edited by caspharm; 10-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    I agree! First couple were good, then I lost interest.
    Same here, but many, many people love this series!
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I do not take the time to read much, I guess I will get myself some audiobooks would be great while sewing.
    For some reason I just cannot sit down and read a book. But I can sit and sew, clean the house, work in the garden, do my errands in the car with an audiobook. I must be the poster gal for multi-taskiing.......age 75, experienced!!!!!!!! I am now listening to Jeff Shaara and his books on the Civil War - very, very interesting and it does keep your attention too. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Guideposts has an excellent series of Fiction Quilt Book Mysteries...Patchwork Mysteries. To find out the details, you may go to: shopquideposts.org or call customer service: 1-800-932-2145.

The main character, Sarah, restores quilts. Sarah finds each quilt takes her on a journey to solve a mystery as she discovers the story behind the maker of the quilt.

I'd read almost every book by Jennifer Chiaverini, I love them, and the last ones are more about history and Civil War, not too much about quilts (less interesting for me)
    About the twins, are Sarah's babys: a girl and a boy. In the Wedding quilt (happening twenty years from now) Caroline (the girl) is getting married.
    I'd read also some by Marie Bostwick too, and actually I'm reading one right now. I like it!
    Thank yo for all this information, I'll check some authors.
    have a nice day!
    Patricia
    May Beauty be the Path!

I just finished Jodi Bowers new book, "Threads of Change" and can't wait for the next one. This series is a fact based account of her family history. Well written and interesting.

I just finish one this morning. It's called Murder, Plain and Simple. (I know that book titles are supposed to be underlined, but I can't make my laptop do it.) It's the first in a new series by Isabella Alan, takes place in Amish country in Ohio, in a quilt shop and was quite good. The next one in the series comes out next May. Hope I remember by then.

Although I did not ask the original question thanks for the names/titles of more quilt related fiction....winter is coming quickly(snow) yesterday so soon time to hibernate and curl up with a roaring fire in the fireplace and a good book and hot chocolate!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast