Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning the Iron >

Cleaning the Iron

Cleaning the Iron

Old 07-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Default Cleaning the Iron

I have heard before to use a dryer sheet to clean the iron when it gets stuff on it. I have done this in the past and it worked. Just now I was needing to clean the iron again because of lots of starch/pressing only this time it doesn't seem to be working? Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:14 PM

I am waiting for answers to this one also. Once my Rowenta got gunk burned on from some non-cotton fabric in a charity top someone gave me to press, it hasn't been the same since. Twice my husband has helped me clean it with 0000 steel wool and a Dremel tool. It cleans up after lots of work and then gradually builds up again (in certain areas of the soleplate). I am wondering if the iron itself has "hot spots" that overheat.

P.S. The Rowenta cleaner doesn't do the job, but Nambe polish (with the steel wool and Dremel) works better. Not good, but better.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:25 PM

I have used the Faultless iron cleaner a couple of times and it worked well. Here is an Amazon link, but I think I paid a lot less at WM. https://www.amazon.com/Faultless-Hot...+cleaner&psc=1
Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

I clean a dirty iron with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 AM

I use the Faultless iron cleaner as well. It works great for things like heat and bond, wonder under, and any kind of gunk that may get on or build up on your iron. I use old kitchen towel, folded in fourths, squeeze a bit of the cleaner on it (does not take much) and run the HOT iron back and forth across the towel. Gets the gunk right off. I keep the towel and cleaner in a little basket that sits on top of a cabinet in the sewing room. The towel can be used again and again. I have seen the cleaner in grocery stores, big box stores, and online.
Bonus! it can be used immediately when you mess up and get that stuff on your iron. No waiting for it to cool off. In less than 5 minutes you can be back to work on your project.
I am very experienced with this product.....
Old 07-19-2018, 03:23 AM

I don't know if what I have used is the Fautless brand but I believe it is called 'Iron Off'. It works the same way Murphy224 has stated and I've never had it not work.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I use oven cleaner if I don't have any Iron Off. Iron Off is clay based and some irons say don't use clay cleaning products. I don't know why, I have used it on all my irons.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 AM

I just cleaned starch off my iron a few days ago. No, dryer sheets don't work for starch. I dampened a folded paper towel a bit and dipped in dry baking soda. rub it a round a little and it is gone. Avoid the holes if possible. If not you can use a toothpick. A little water on a clean spot on the paper towel should dissolve it too. Easy.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
I just cleaned starch off my iron a few days ago. No, dryer sheets don't work for starch. I dampened a folded paper towel a bit and dipped in dry baking soda. rub it a round a little and it is gone. Avoid the holes if possible. If not you can use a toothpick. A little water on a clean spot on the paper towel should dissolve it too. Easy.
I've agree with this method of cleaning with dry baking soda. I haven't used it on my iron yet but use it all the time to clean the window and chrome on my toaster oven. When you finish the easiest way to clean up the baking soda residue is to vacuum it then wipe off with a clean damp cloth and dry.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM

I use a regular ole Brillo pad,then clean the holes good. I just polish the bottom good with a clean cloth.