Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use this kind of ruler for cutting?

Blog Entries
    I too haven't seen this ruler however my DH has been a flooring installer for about a million years and he uses steel rulers with his olfa knives and I've "borrowed" his curvy ruler without any worries.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

But, if you're cutting strips, how do you see how wide to cut them?? I guess you could use the markings on your cutting mat..... I've never see a ruler like this used for fabric...
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
    But, if you're cutting strips, how do you see how wide to cut them?? I guess you could use the markings on your cutting mat..... I've never see a ruler like this used for fabric...
    that's what I was thinking too. Wouldn't this limit what you can cut??? Is it heavy?
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

It seems it would require you to use the lines on your cutting mat for measuring the cut, rather than the ruler. Maybe OK for some uses (like the long cuts in a fabric store, which are measured on the mat anyway). But I can't see it for home use - at least not for fabric. Looks perfect for cutting drywall

Blog Entries
    We use similar steel rulers at work with big electric cutters and cut thousands of yards of material.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I tried it once and didnt like it. It's not clear and I like to see that nothing shifted.

I've got one for cutting mat board for photos. I wouldn't use it for fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by trugger View Post
    They were using a rotary cutter with it. They didn't let me try it out, so I don't know how it felt, compared with plastic rulers.

I want to try it out, but I wonder if the inability to see through it will bw a problem.
    Not being able to see through it; having the rotary cutter blade go over metal, and the weight of the metal (no matter the length) would all be a problem for me. I can't see any advantage to it at all.
    GramMER to 18 plus 2 great granddaughters!

Well, looking it at the prices, it appears to be more expensive than an omnigrid ruler, without the ability to see through it and line up perpendicular lines and see the marking the whole way along the fabric, so I'm not sure what would be worth the extra price.

Its not see through. I count on mine being see through. I do like the idea of having your resting hand behind that shield.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast