Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basting with glue

Basting with glue

I have been reading threads about the pros & cons of this method. I would like to try it on a small quilt. I bought Elmer's Washable, no run School Glue. Is this the right one? I just want to be sure before I begin. I know it is supposed to be School Glue, but now I am confusing myself - does washable mean it will wash out or an article is safe to wash and will stay glued together. Someone please set me straight - thanks !!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Washable means it will wash out. Plain old white Elmer's like we used in grade school. It's just made of starch so it won't hurt a thing.

I've used the Elmer's Spray Adhesive and another brand I bought at Jo Ann's specifically for quilting. Both work well but from posts I've read the Elmer's may be a problem once washed. Spray basting is so much easier than the pinning!

I use glue sticks for basting down a small areas, use it for holding binding in place. I like this because I don't accidentally spill out a huge amount.

I use the white Elmer's School Glue. Just make sure it says "School" glue.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2boyz View Post
    I have been reading threads about the pros & cons of this method. I would like to try it on a small quilt. I bought Elmer's Washable, no run School Glue. Is this the right one?
    That's the right one. I just brought mine over to the computer and it says exactly what you wrote. This is what I use to glue-pin bindings (using my iron). Some people also use it to baste the quilt sandwich, drizzling it on in thin lines, but I haven't tried it that way.

The glue washes out completely. You use it to hold things together until you can sew it together with thread. Thread holds everything together when the glue washes out.

Ironing dries the glue quickly, which is why I iron when using it to glue down binding before sewing. When using it to baste a quilt sandwich together, most people just let it dry naturally overnight. On a small quilt, you would baste the backing and batting together, let dry naturally, then glue the batting and top together and allow to dry. Or, if you are ambitious, you can iron to make it dry faster.

Blog Entries
    It's the right glue.
    I use it for bindings and also pieceing blocks.
    No need for pins, just add a little glue and set with an iron.
    Works great when sewing long strips together.
    Veronica

Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought was correct. I'm anxious to try it as I'm tired of pinning and don't have a good - dry - accessible spot for spraying. I love this board and all the kind, generous and helpful people on it.

I have recently switched to basting with Elmer's School Glue and am very happy with it. I drizzle a grid on the batting and smooth the backing out, let dry, and then do same with top. So far it hasn't gummed up any needles and seems to wash out completely. Good luck with it.

just one little hint...spread the glue in thin lines onto the batting and smooth the fabric on top....that way you can see that you will have no wrinkles or puckers!....just did my first quilt sandwich that way and am quilting now.....love how easy and how secure it keeps the sandwich....will never pin or spray baste again!

I don't know about the rest of you but when I was in grade school (called elementary back then!) we used LePage's glue. It was golden color and was dispensed out of a rubber top with a slit in it. Elmer's didn't come out until later.

I still pin baste my quilts. I do it on my glass topped dining table and I make larger quilts and I have to move them to different sections to get them all pinned. I don't think the glue basting would work very well with my set up.
    I do think glue basting would work well for matching intersections when sewing long rows to each other. I could see right away that they are matchine up as they should. I will try it. Thanks for all the helpful hints.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but when I was in grade school (called elementary back then!) we used LePage's glue. It was golden color and was dispensed out of a rubber top with a slit in it. Elmer's didn't come out until later.
    I remember that stuff! It was rubber cement and cleaned up pretty easily because, after it was dry, you could rub it off into a small ball.

Blog Entries
    Gals-- I think we're really dating ourselves with our memories! If I'm remembering correctly, the "glue" in the bottle with the rubber thingy on top was called mucilage, wasn't it?
    Sue

Blog Entries
    You're right. It was mucilage -- actually gum arabic, not rubber cement. I finally thought to Google it.
    http://www.thecakelady.ca/lepagesglue/mucilage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Gals-- I think we're really dating ourselves with our memories! If I'm remembering correctly, the "glue" in the bottle with the rubber thingy on top was called mucilage, wasn't it?
    Oh yes, I remember that! I would never use it as I always thought it was mucous. YUK, actually mucous might work too - double yuk

I remember that mucilage; it's what we used at home. At school, we had to use messy white paste, in a jar. It usually smelled a bit like wintergreen and always left the pasted item rather lumpy.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Would it be appropriate to use this method of basting on a Christmas tree skirt that I'm working on an don't really want to wash?

Blog Entries
    I, too, just finished the binding on a quilt using Elmer's School Glue for the first time. I followed the youtube post The Binding Angel and it was quite helpful. The only suggstion I have is to use a dry iron which I don't think was mentioned in the video... I learned this quickly when the glue didn't set. I ususally do most of my pressing with steam so I didn't give the iron setting any thought until the glue was still sticky when I took my project to my machine.

I use the archival glue sticks especially when putting together my miniature (as well as pp) projects. This glue doesn't cause the threads to breakdown.
    Attitude is the mind's paintbrush. It colors every situation.

I use the Elmers School Glue all the time, especially for my binding. I then iron it on, lightly. then I hand stitch the binding, and eventually wash the quilt. It all washes out in the end.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have the address that showed using Elmers, I thought I saved it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Yes. It was called "mucilage." My Dad loved to use that stuff.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

After reading all the posts about this glue I decided to try another application. I recently made several of Joan Hawley's Runabout purses and I used the glue to hold the handles in place so that I could get them right on the outside edge butting against the seam and not have to pin through several layers of fabric and batting. Worked like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Now that you mention it, I remember the rubber top with the slit in it. Just shows how old we are. LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast