Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does FMQ have to connect? >

Does FMQ have to connect?

Does FMQ have to connect?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 AM

Default Does FMQ have to connect?

Cute little monkey fab for changing pad and I want to quilt it using curls, like the monkey tails, all over the pad but don't want them to connect. They will resemble a g-clef without the middle line. (The fab is in "pictures" somewhere).

This should look okay, right? And, can I do it with a walking foot because I haven't practiced with my new FMQ foot and need to have this finished by the weekend, of course.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

​Gentle curves can be quilted with a walking foot. Quilting motifs do not have to connect when quilting a quilt.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

You can certainly do this type of quilting design, but it's not going to be quick or easy. I would make a practice sandwich and try this motif to see how it goes before attempting to do your quilt.
You didn't say how big your motif is, but you might have difficulty using your walking foot for curves that tight.
Also, there's going to be a lot of turning the quilt so depending on the size of your harp that could be cumbersome. This is where FMQ is good, you move the quilt, but you are not turning it.
And finally, you are going to have to secure all the threads for your starts and stops. If your machine has a fix or tie function you may want to use that, but some machines make large knot (mine does). If you don't have a tie function, you can start and stop each motif with tiny stitches, or one or two reverse stitches. Otherwise, you will have to hand knot each one and bury the threads, which is why most folks look for continuous line designs.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

your lines do not have to connect at all- but...curly q's would be quite difficult with a walking foot- which works with your feed dogs and 'walks' along in good straight lines- or gentle curves. to do a 'free motion' design you need to drop your feed dogs so you can manipulate your fabric. so, it is time to put your free motion foot on & do a practice piece.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:49 AM

Definitely try the FM foot and practice. With a walking foot you would have alot of turning around and around. FM foot, there is a rhythm and you'll be amazed at how easy it is. The only thing to watch out for are "eyelashes on the back".
Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

it's your quilt, you make the rules.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Lots of things to consider, I'm glad I asked. I was thinking of very large loops but when paper drawing it all looks not right. Good point about turning vs not turning the quilt. It prob won't be too bad being a changing pad but it's so cute I don't want to mess it up. I could grid it but I think the roundness would be more visually appealing, so maybe I'll try the FMQ foot, I already have a few practice hot pads waiting. Thank you!