Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it look ok without the borders being more quilted? >

Does it look ok without the borders being more quilted?

Does it look ok without the borders being more quilted?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Does it look ok without the borders being more quilted?

I have the coordinating leaves and vines I could use,would have to re-size to fit, but I'm not good enough to be sure I'd get them all lined up perfectly as they are an embroidery pattern which means lots of hooping and moving....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460756[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460757[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460758[/ATTACH]

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM

If I were quilting it, I would probably do some quilting in the border. You have some beautiful quilting in the blocks and my feeling is that the density of quilting should be uniform throughout the quilt. It's a really pretty quilt.... but, it's your quilt. You get the final say.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Just do FMQ, like a large stipple. I would not try to continue the vines and leaves. I think it would look just fine. Just what I would, if or when I ever do designs.
It is beautiful and the quilting too.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I agree I would quilt the boarders, but it is your quilt and you can do it any way you want. Very cute quilt!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

It all depends on the batting you've used. Check the package. and it will tell you how far apart the minimum quilting lines should be. remember, that this dimension is in ALL directions, n-s & e-w. Just looking at it looks like there is no quilting at all the length of the quilt. Don't know of any batting that will allow this distance. Also, since this quilt will probably be laundered a lot, you would want to err on the side of more quilting, rather than less. If you haven't already done so, SITD between the white and print, then just sew some straight lines extending the block seams to the edge of the quilt, adding a mid-line if your batting needs it.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
If I were quilting it, I would probably do some quilting in the border. You have some beautiful quilting in the blocks and my feeling is that the density of quilting should be uniform throughout the quilt. It's a really pretty quilt.... but, it's your quilt. You get the final say.
I agree. I think I would also do a bit of quilting in the owl blocks with the name. Maybe outline the owls and letters or do the same leaf design in white thread so all you really get is the texture. I would definitely do something in the borders to try to keep continuity in the quilting density throughout the quilt. Additionally your batting may not hold up to having no quilting in the borders. That looks like a pretty long stretch to have with no quilting. You can mix up your own FMQ with digitized embroidery.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Yes I agree. Thee is a large selection of different widths of stencils available for borders. You could use the leaf stencil you used in the quilt and try to stretch it out a little straighter for ising it in the border. Good Luck !!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:57 AM

Another way to think of it is that the borders get the most wear in use. Think about it; you virtually always use the borders when moving a quilt, so they get heavy use. You need to "strengthen" the borders with some kind of quilting so it will stand up to use. But you don't have to pick a style that is difficult for you to do! Straight lines or stippling will work just fine, and they won't compete visually with the the quilting on the rest of the quilt.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 AM

It might look unfinished without the borders being quilted, as well as being a little wavy around the sides. I often quilt my borders with a sequence of straight stitching all around. It can be evenly spaced (e.i. 1/2 inch) or unevenly spaced.which is interesting.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Lots of great suggestions and reasons why to quilt the border..

Cute Quilt.... I agree, something simple would be fine..