Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this look Southwest? >

Does this look Southwest?

Does this look Southwest?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
At first I thought the white was too white. I think of the SW as being more sand/beige colors, but this quilt has a lot of the same colors and the white looks fine. When I did a Yahoo search for Navajo quilt images I saw a lot of patterns with white, reds, blacks and others with oranges, beiges and both types mixed with blues. I think it just comes down to whether you like it and whether it matches the room or painting or whatever it is you want to match.

Footnote: I always question my choices about half way through a quilt and typically don't like much about it. But then....I finish it and get it quilted and fall in love with it again. I think your choices are quite lovely and will look very SW when you are finished.
Actually, the lightest color really isn't white....it is a light sand color...it just looks white in the photo. I appreciate you saying you question your choices about half way through the process, makes me feel better. I ALWAYS do that, and I think it is time for me to stop, but I guess I am not going to....being as this is my 93rd quilt and I just don't see me stopping. My sister and son both told me just today that I always think I don't like a quilt in the middle, but I end up liking it in the end.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Dina
Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Thank you everyone for your reassurance. I just seem to second guess myself in the middle of each quilt. This quilt is going to be lots of work, and I found myself wondering if it was going to be worth it. I am feeling better about it now and will post a picture when it is all done....which won't be too soon.

Dina
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM

I think this pattern looks Southwest no matter what colors it has. Your colors are just right for the Southwest theme.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Thank you everyone for your reassurance. I just seem to second guess myself in the middle of each quilt. This quilt is going to be lots of work, and I found myself wondering if it was going to be worth it. I am feeling better about it now and will post a picture when it is all done....which won't be too soon.

Dina
Dina, these quilts are really easy if you strip piece them
Old 03-29-2015, 08:21 PM

Lovely quilt, and I think both the colors and the pattern look very southwestern.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:27 PM

Yup. Looks Southwest to me. It's going to look great. Half baked cookies don't look good, but they look great when finished -- just like a quilt. You will love it when it is done (and if you don't, I'll trade you for a batch of cookies).
Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Definitely looks southwest to me. Beautiful blend of colors. And I'd say 80% of the time I do a quilt, I don't like it halfway through and just want to wad it up and throw it out the window, and look for a new hobby. But I keep on, reminding myself that I always like it again in the binding phase, and then after a trip through the washer and dryer, I sometimes want to keep it for myself--if I made it for someone else!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 AM

I think the colors (which I love, love, love) definitely give it a southwestern look.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Great job Dina. With using the turquoise, I think it does look southwestern. Great colors.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

It looks perfect