Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does My Sewing Machine Dislike Humidity? >

Does My Sewing Machine Dislike Humidity?

Does My Sewing Machine Dislike Humidity?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Default Does My Sewing Machine Dislike Humidity?

Every once in a while my machine does not want to advance the fabric. My sister said that it could be the air. I had not heard of that before.

I have not changed anything, tension, thread type, stitch length.....I'm wondering if it is possible that the summer type air is doing it.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I haven't heard of that either. Check to see if anything is caught in the feed dogs. Usually if the fabric doesn't move it's because the thread is caught up on something, the feed dogs are clogged, the fabric is too thick... something like that.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Humidity is not good for sewing machines. If it is very humid for a long time the fabric and batting will get 'full'. That could make it harder to feed. ? I doubt a home with air conditioning will have much humidity.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

The feed dogs might be getting worn. I had an old Singer that happened to. I could have taken it to get new dogs but instead I made a cardboard gasket. This only works if the feed dogs have a screw that lets you remove them. I cut the gasket from thin cardboard the same shape as the bottom of the feed dogs. I then put it under the feed dogs and screwed them back into place. It lifted the dogs up just enough to advance the fabric well again.
Or the humidity is making the machine bed sticky? Give it a good coat of polish and see if that helps.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

sometimes it takes almost standing on your head to see the feed dogs well but lint can get packed into them and they can't "grab" your fabric well any longer. Check them and if need be, clean with a straight pin.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:23 PM

I was just going to tell you to check for lint buildup in your feed dogs...that will cause them to not move. Also...you don't mention what kind of machine your have. A computerized machine would be more sensitive to changes in humidity than a mechanical.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Get yourself a magnifying glass and shine a flashlight on it. Fishing line will help tease it out of there. My niece was having trouble with hers and I just grab a piece of her hair. Eased it right out. She got a strange look on her face and we all laughed.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Tink's Mom.....if I lived closer, I would bake you a batch of brownies!!! I could not get the face plate off even with the dime method, but Jim got it by taking the dime and needle nosed pliers. I could not believe my eyes, when I saw those dogs. It was like driving down the road on tires that had no tread. I used a needle to pull it out. It was compacted in there. I can SEW AGAIN!!! I am so happy.