Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does it need more

Does it need more

Hello. I just joined this board though I have read posts from it on many occasions. The question I have is concerning a quilt I am working on. I am fairly new to quilting. I'm concerned about the border of this quilt I'm working on. I stenciled it but I just don't know if that is enough quilting for the border. here is a close up of the border
    Name:  IMG_0685.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  114.3 KB
    Is that enough quilting? I think it is but I'm not sure. Oh BTW This quilt is being hand quilted. Blessings, Debbie Feavel Hand Quiltin Grammy
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: PM to member

I think that would be perfect.

It looks wonderful. However, without seeing the whole quilt it is hard to tell if it is enough. How wide is the border and does the quilting fit the border or are there lots of inches left on each side? If I were hand-quilting, it would be more than enough.

The border is about 10 inches wide and the stincil is 8.5 I believe. The quilt has hearts and little hearts will be quilted inside the 12 inch heart blocks. It has a 5 inch area under the heart that has a name and birthdate embroidered and that is cross hatched. Then the sashings between the blocks have the same pattern as the border only in a smaller version. I would show you a picture but I can't seem to post a new one :-(

Blog Entries
    Looks great to me!
    Sadiemae

I think it looks fine! I have a respect for those that handquilt.... anything, let alone a full size quilt.

Name:  IMG_0683 posting.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  31.6 KB
    This is as good of a picture as I can get of the quilt and this was before I stenciled it. I hope it helps give you an idea of the quilt with this discription. The outer border is about 10 inches wide and the stincil is 8.5 I believe. The quilt has hearts and little hearts will be quilted inside the 12 inch heart blocks. It has a 5 inch area under the heart that has a name and birthdate embroidered and that is cross hatched. Then the sashings between the blocks have the same pattern as the border only in a smaller version.

I do apprecite your thoughts on the border. I always seem to second guess myself. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    This is a lovely quilt and you've chosen a beautiful quilting design. I am also a hand-quilter. If this quilt is to be hung, I think your border is sufficient. If it is going to be used as a cover the edges will get a lot of wear and tear. I usually quilt diagonal lines, about 1 in. apart, not quilting into the design. Lots of extra work,but it does strengthen the border. Whatever you decide to, your quilt be lovely finished. Happy quilting!

Your quilt is beautiful and I love your quilting design. I also hand quilt sometimes and like scraphq's suggestions.

Blog Entries
    i agree, for the border, that is perfect!
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast