Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does polyester batting really "beard" that much? >

Does polyester batting really "beard" that much?

Does polyester batting really "beard" that much?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I haven't used polyester batting for 4 years....(but then I have only been quilting four years )...and I think I will experiment with it. I changed because all the "expert quilters" told me I should only use Warm & Natural...so that is what I have done. It is only lately that I have wondered why, and "bearding" was what came into my head.

Thanks again.

Dina
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I like Fairfield Traditional poly batting. For even thinner batting I use Thermore by Hobbs.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I've made over 350 quilts with it and just bought a rollof 50 yrds. I love it n, never a problem and great for hand quilting
Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I've used Mountain Mist polyester (the fluffy kind in a package) in quilts that are over 15 years old and used. No bearding whatsoever.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM

I use poly batting too, usually low loft and never had any bearding.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:37 AM

Polyester batting has come a long way over the years. Bonding of the poly fibers has nearly eliminated the issue of bearding. I have used all kinds of poly battings over the last decade or more , the bonded fibers have never bearded. Some poly battings have a thin poly tissue like layer over the both sides of the batting. I use tow layers of batting on almost all of my quilts one layer cotton and one inexpensive Mountain Mist ... none have ever bearded.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM

I use polyester batting when I want a warm lap quilt, which is what I mostly make. It conforms to the body and traps air (for warmth), and is not heavy like cotton batting. No matter how cheap it was, I have never had bearding. It is a totally different choice from when you would want cotton batting.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 PM

I use Hobbs Polydown by the 30 yard roll and it does not beard. Our guild also uses it for our Community Quilts. It's lightweight and of uniform thickness throughout (no thick or thin places) quilts easily and washes, dries and wears well. I really have nothing negative to say about this batting and my LA'er has absolutely no problems with it either. It's also affordable, about $150 including tax in Canada.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 PM

The ONLY time I've had bearding turned out to be because there was a little bit of a burr on my needle. Otherwise, zero bearding. I mostly use Quilter's Dream.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Again, thanks to everyone for the comments. Here is a link to what I am looking at. This is from a relatively new place in the Dallas area. They will be having a booth at our quilt show and I want to look at the batting first, but this is tempting. His prices on other battings are quite good also.

http://www.americanquiltbatting.com/product-p/5p.htm

Does anyone know anything about this company....American Fiber Products? Here is a link to his whole web site.

http://www.americanquiltbatting.com/

(Our quilt show is next weekend, Oct. 3-4, in case any of you are near Wichita Falls, TX. ...another link for more info on our show www.wichitafallsquiltguild.org)

Thanks,
Dina