Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever? >

When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever?

When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Default When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever?

Have any of you ever thought that - just maybe - one's buying of items related to sewing/quilting/crafting - has turned into a serious addiction?

That if the intensity of the desire were for something like - alcohol - it would be easy to identify the desire/need/want - as an addiction.

But it's so EASY to justify buying things for sewing/quilting/crafting!!!! And we have all these aiders and abetters here, too!

I know that I was in 'addiction mode' for a while. I can't say that I'm 'in remission' at the moment, but my spending is much more controlled than it was for a while. (Of course, having less money available might have 'something' to do with that,too!)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

I've gone through stages where it seems like all I did was buy fabric and more fabric but wasn't accomplishing anything with it. Now I'm going through a stage where I'm not buying anything but making a lot from my stash - just recently my stash produced 1 professional tote and a classmate bag (made by granddaughter) a second classmate bag that I made for another granddaughter, 1 nightgown for me. 1 patriotic quilt (waiting to be quilted) 1 wall hanging quilt (waiting to be quilted). I feel very satisfied to shop in "my" store and find what I want.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM

I'd say it's "too much" if the existence of the quantity oppresses/depresses the person - e.g. can't go into the sewing room because of feeling overwhelmed.

I'd say it's an "addiction" if you cannot control your spending. We've all over-spent at one time or another - and probably more than once - but if it is happening on a regular basis, making the person unhappy, and they can't stop then it is an addiction.

I have zero medical training, so I can't speak from that sort of informed viewpoint, and I've never been diagnosed with an addiction so can't speak from knowledge of that sort of standpoint either, but I would say that when the thing is controlling the person rather than the person controlling the thing then that is addiction.

I know that I have bursts when I will be intensely into quilting - the actual doing - and then I kind of burn-out and have a lull. Probably biased, but I view that as (fairly) normal. LOL

I don't do the same thing with spending - there's usually an identifiable reason for an overspend, e.g. visiting a quilt show - but I can easily imagine doing that (esp with the lure of the Internet) if the money was available. It isn't, so I don't, and I think that is part of my definition of 'healthy enthusiasm' rather than 'addiction'.

Of course there will be other variables, such as if a person is so consumed by the quilting/shopping that they neglect to spend any time with family/friends unconnected to quilting, etc.

Just my totally-off-the-top-of-my-head opinion.

:-)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

If having a whole quilt shop in your house makes you happy, than that is enough for you. My best friend fit into this category and then she died suddenly. I was glad that buying fabric made her happy because she deserved to be happy.
If your stash is not making you happy and instead you feel overwhelmed or weighed down? You have too much.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I let my personal monetary allowance to myself do the talking and spending. that keeps me grounded. If I get a little too close, then I back off. That ruler will still be there on the market. If the fabric is discontinued, then I didn't need it anyway. I'm putting together a Victorian Crazy Quilt. It is in it's own little box and the fabric and embellishments, I need for that is from estate sales and thrift store. Imagine the other day when I came home and my DH looks at the really lacy negligee with some beading an pearls and rhinestones ($3.00) size 3. He frowned I laughed, then he laughed. I allow myself $75.00 a month. If I go over that, then I deduct that from the next month.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Social Security determines my purchasing! And I like to find the perfect "next" pattern and have fun buying just for that with great anticipation and delight! Think I would feel pressured with having a large stash. Mine is just left overs.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Too much is when it interferes with the enjoyment. I have backed off on patterns as I have learned there is always one more that comes out or I discover just when I thought I found the "one". The list of patterns I am just can't wait to get started was getting to be a burden. Tools and gizmos .. I pretty much gotten my fill of the latest .. having been burned by their lack of delivering the "life changing" value. Now fabric ... all I can say is my output needs to catch up to the input.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

And to think that once upon a time all people needed was fabric, a scissors, needles, thread and something for patterns!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

So well put, Lori, and expresses much of what I also feel.
For me there are :
No more gizmos--only replacement tools such as seam rippers, needles, favorite ruler, etc.
No more patterns. (this has been true for years actually.)
Almost no more books.
Now I focus on batting -- wool mostly -- and occasionally fabrics.

"Output needs to catch up with the input!" is definitely written on my forehead and in my check book.

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Too much is when it interferes with the enjoyment. I have backed off on patterns as I have learned there is always one more that comes out or I discover just when I thought I found the "one". The list of patterns I am just can't wait to get started was getting to be a burden. Tools and gizmos .. I pretty much gotten my fill of the latest .. having been burned by their lack of delivering the "life changing" value. Now fabric ... all I can say is my output needs to catch up to the input.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

I agree you should it enjoy and use what you do have.