Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does polyester batting really "beard" that much? >

Does polyester batting really "beard" that much?

Does polyester batting really "beard" that much?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I use polyester battings a lot, have never had a bearding problem, in fact until I read your post I had no idea anyone had that problem with poly batts. I thought some cotton battings were the big bearding culprits. I do use dream poly, dream green, and Hobbs poly and/or Hobbs blends. Dream and Hobbs wool battings are also ones I use a lot- I've never experienced a bearding problem in 38 years of making quilts (maybe I've been lucky)
Old 09-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I use polyester battings a lot, have never had a bearding problem, in fact until I read your post I had no idea anyone had that problem with poly batts. I thought some cotton battings were the big bearding culprits. I do use dream poly, dream green, and Hobbs poly and/or Hobbs blends. Dream and Hobbs wool battings are also ones I use a lot- I've never experienced a bearding problem in 38 years of making quilts (maybe I've been lucky)
You know, maybe I had it wrong. Maybe it is cotton that beards? Hmmmmm....maybe I am just worrying about nothing....

Dina
Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 PM

Polyester batting used to beard a lot. It no longer does especially if you make sure you are using a sharp needle of the correct size for your thread. I looked at the batting that you are thinking of getting. I am concerned about how light it is. It says that it is 3.8 oz per yard. The batting that I use is either 9 or 12 oz per yard and for most applications I use the 12 oz batt. The 9 oz batt can seem a little light at times.

Julie
Old 09-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Some of mine did and some didn't, sorry but it was the low loft pricey one that did.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=Julie1;6903763]Polyester batting used to beard a lot. It no longer does especially if you make sure you are using a sharp needle of the correct size for your thread. I looked at the batting that you are thinking of getting. I am concerned about how light it is. It says that it is 3.8 oz per yard. The batting that I use is either 9 or 12 oz per yard and for most applications I use the 12 oz batt. The 9 oz batt can seem a little light at times.

This is good to know. Thanks!! I am off to see if I can figure out what it says about Warm & Natural. Should have done that already, huh!

Dina
Old 09-26-2014, 04:25 AM

I have always used poly batting and I have never had any bearding. I really like it.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 AM

Use a good BONDED poilyester batt. There is a coating on both sides to keep it from bearding and it works fine.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:29 AM

The only problem I've had with polyester batting has been inconsistent thickness (usually where it was folded for bagging). That has not been a problem with the batting I got from my MIL that was on a roll.
I've also discovered that I do prefer the batting that looks and feels more like fleece instead of "standed fluff" - much easier to use.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM

I always use polyester for both machine and hand quilts, I never had any problems even after repeat washings!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:38 PM

The batting in my 1st quilt is poly and there is almost nothing left after 20 years,it was hand quilted. I like Warm & Natural for my quilts now, all done by machine.