Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does it qualify >

does it qualify

does it qualify

Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 AM

You should definitely go for it. ( You are never too old to do something you want to do)The main reason is because you want to & another is because it is a good exercise for the brain. The more you do the better it looks too. I do a little FMQ & I'm far from good but I have lots of fun. You can buy lots of good books for FMQ or maybe attend a class in your area or watch online videos. The possibilities are endless. ( You are never too old to do something you want to do) Have fun!
Old 10-18-2015, 04:28 AM

I'm 71 , started machine quilting 5 years ago, learned FMQ, simple patterns came easy, figuring math dimensions is my quilting problem. You can do it, you go girl. Thread is cheap and not a waste, don't sit in front of a tv and fade away, stay busy with what you like, that keeps you young.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by unfinishedbusiness View Post
I'm elderly and I keep reading we old folks should learn new stuff to stimulate our brain. Do you think learning free motion quilting after70 yr of hand quilting counts? have it started it's not perfect . I 've got the straight stitching done and I am going oo learn free motion on the quilt.LOL It is just for me and my dog so why waste practice thread? Sound like my brain is too far gone already
I think she's older than 70. She didn't start quilting when she was a baby.

I'm over 80 and still teach at the one room school and square dance twice a week.

Last week I tried a new pattern for my FMQ. I usually do loops. Since the quilt was all machine tacked already, I started around the side on the half blocks. As I worked my way around, the quilting changed noticeably. The last 2 or 3 blocks started to look like something I really liked. So I ripped out about 5 of them and went on to finish the quilting. Then I went back and looked at those half blocks again. Didn't like some of them. Ripped out three more. Now most of the blocks on the whole quilt look mostly the same.

What I did I call Mushrooms. It is sort of a variation of 3's and E's with deep curlicues in each corner. I have a lot of flimsy tops around now and need to get them finished, so had to find a way to do that quickly.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:28 AM

You are certainly not elderly. I know a few 80 and even 90 year olds who have more energy and vitality than some of the younger generation. It is never too late to learn a new technique. You may not be so quick at it, and you may not be an expert, but even the experts had to begin somewhere. The important thing is to do what gives you pleasure. I am not very good at FMQ and almost gave up after my first few attempts, but it does get better. I am not entering any competitions so what does it matter? Just have fun and congratulate yourself on your creativity.. Another young 70+
Old 10-18-2015, 05:42 AM

I am 70. Started quilting a few years ago. Have been doing free motion for a year now. It does not turn out perfect....but I love it and the people I gift my quilts to just appreciate that I care enough about them to make a quilt for them! I have many small sandwiches that I have practiced on, it seems they are wasted. I am going to buy some inexpensive fabric that I like and turn my practice into placemats!
Old 10-18-2015, 05:45 AM

Since you say it's just you and your dog, who's going to say you can't do it? There isn't a wrong or right way to free motion, that's why it's called that. Go ahead, you may like the speed you can complete the quilts you make. If not you can always go back to hand quilting on the next project.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:36 AM

*** Go for it - new things stimulate the brain.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:40 AM

I am not into quilting to win prizes and have a list as long as my legs I want to make. I am 74 and will be taking a class at my LQS in LAQ. I just want to see if I like it. I do a lot of hand quilting and I take several quilts a year to a LAQer. I won't be purchasing a LA machine because I can have a lot of quilts done for that money. I take classes that interest me in the hopes that my brain will continue to function. Personally I don't feel old but know we must keep busy and active as long as we can.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:02 AM

First of all...you're not elderly. You're just older. Older than what? That's totally arbitrary. Some are older than dirt and some are just older than the other guy. Secondly, give it a shot. I've been playing with it for a couple of years and it sure does take practice, but your regular table top machine is plenty good. Just drop those feed dog teeth and get a practice sandwich and play.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 AM

HEY, I'm 70 and far from elderly !!!!!!!!!! I just started a Zumba class