Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone do fancy quilts or does anyone...

Are there any of you out there that just do block quilts for family and friends, or do most of you do all these fancy patterns

Blog Entries
    My quilts are not fancy, I make them to be used, laundered and loved :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    No sure what you mean by "fancy" patterns. My favorite pattern is still the 9-patch with an alternate block. I also love Jacob's Ladder and Attic Window. I think the fabric can make those look fabulously fancy.

One of my all-time favourites is still just simple blocks of color. I'm working on one now that is just alternating beige and red 6" squares. It's as simple as they come. I tend to have several (ok, dozens) of projects going at once, and they are a variety, from super simple to more complex. My most complex at the moment is a lonestar with a drunkard's path border. The simple projects tend to get more attention. I find that I have a very low threshold for complexity in quilts. I quickly find them not to my liking if they have too much going on. I prefer simple, very geometric patterns.

The "fanciest" quilt I've done is the one I'm working on right now, it's snowball blocks with a few pin wheels ...sooo...barely fancy. I've done Warm Wishes and D9P for family members...they look fancier, but they really aren't.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you could just add a few appliques to the standard alternating blocks, i.e. yo yo flowers with small vine in corner, a dragonfly for those who love them, small bird, or child's design. There are so many designs out there with the new Accuquilt cutters that are really inexpensive. You can even get designs from coloring books, tons of downloads on the net. Google the designs you like and you will be amazed at what can be downloaded...free!

There is NOTHING wrong with the less fancy quilts. The fabrics can make all the difference! Whatever you choose, do it because you enjoy the process. If it becomes a burden, you will quit. Quilting is to be loved and enjoyed!

Fancy or plain it doesn't matter at our house. They are all loved.

Agree all quilts are loved. Right now I am working on two...the hunters star for my nephew and an appliqued flower pot for my mom. One is more "fancy" piecing while the other is more basic.

I find I am doing fancier quilting on mom's and will probably go more basic on dn's.

I try to pick a quilt pattern that interests me...sometimes those are fancy and other times more simple. My next one is going to be a String X quilt.....I am not sure it can get simpler!

I've done both and all were loved. To me, that's the most important thing.

In the past I have done applique {hand done} quilts that seem to go on and on, but these days, simple is better for me. Trip around the world or traditional log cabin or just random block quilts are fun and wonderful and to me, look great. And those who I give them too are thrilled to get them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Mine too.
    I make a "fancy" one only now and then.

I like to challenge myself with every new quilt I start. As a result I tend to gravitate towards more complex piecing. However, I don't consider my quilts fancy.

Blog Entries
    I like the classics, I like to look at some of the art quilts when I go to the quilt shows. But I don't have any plans on making the fancy ones.

Sometimes the simply quilts with few pieces show off the fabric better. I love to let the fabric "do the work".

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Me too! My quilts are all simple patterns. My family love them and use them. I do buy wonderful vintage tops to quilt myself, I love the old fabrics. These vintage ones I keep knowing they need careful washing.

I sometimes think that I am abit of a fake when someone says I quilt! I don't do fancy,not even pretty at times, but somehow my quilts are loved by all who receives them. Must be all the love I put into it! Not sure I will ever do fancy, I love scrappies, that I know! I gave my dil a quilt today for Christmas, she just started crying with happiness! So I must be doing alright :)

My dh tells people I quilt, gee if they only knew how fancy they aren't.

Like it has been said, some of the best quilts are done with the easiest patterns. you can always spice up a quilt by just adding some applique of some sort, which can be done by machine.
    My storm at sea, was probably one of my most challenging so far, because the points were so many and a bit of a challenge to keep my consistency going.
    I believe if I would have started and finished that quilt in a few weeks, it would have been easier..
    Buggy Barn, it's in the bag is my next challenge... hopefully next week.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Mine are usually simple because I can move on to the next one faster!

I make quite a few scrappy quilts for charity during the year and those are pretty simple. Then I make a few more "fancy" ones in between. I like variety but it is also nice to actually finish something once in a while.

I do all kinds, but the really fancy (intricate, involved) quilts usually only happen once or twice in a year. The rest are simple. I do a lot of string quilts--my scrap box seems to multiply much faster than I can get blocks made. The special one I want to do this year is the Texas Lone Star--I love how they look.

I have been on this site for several months just reading and learning with tutorials and getting the courage to start my first quilt. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A QUILT I DID NOT LIKE.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    Are there any of you out there that just do block quilts for family and friends, or do most of you do all these fancy patterns
    Nope, no fancy quilts here. I love log cabin or rail fence. My family is so impressed with my ability to quilt that I don't need to do "fancy". In fact my daughter commented yesterday that she is amazed that I am actually quilting since years ago she remembered me having great disdain for quilting. That was before I realized what an art it really is. I used to think it was just straight stitching a bunch of squares together.

So glad you asked. I am new to quilting and am astounded at the beautiful works of art on this website. However, I shall stick to what I can best do right now--good old fashioned simple things. Perhaps some day I will graduate to the more advanced. Everything takes time.

I love the simple patterns as you see such progress and that is encouraging, plus they often get finished sooner. I've tried quilts that look complicated but when you start, they actually aren't. Experiment is all I can say and you will find what patterns you like the best. When I first started a couple of years ago, I did lap or throw quilts and everyone has loved them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast