Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM

My sewing room is small and is shared with the computer. It is some what organized at this particular moment but only because I have not started a new project. There are various tote bags and baskets sitting on the floor under my ironing board which is covered with a big board for my cutting mats. On the board i have a tray for supplies an a large cutting mat. In the corner I have totes almost to the ceiling with various supplies and fabric.. I have a walk in closet that I can't walk into and two dressers with books and fabric. My machine is on a desk by the window with some jars holding more supplies and my ott lamp. When i am sewing I put a small table next to me by the desk for pressing. There are times when I need to move the table to get to another area of the room. The strange part is when my room looks like this I can find what I am looking for, when I straighten it I can never find any thing. I think this kind of enviroment is part of our
creativity process (this is my way of thinking and I am sticking to it).
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM

You sound like me, but it is so nice to be able to shop at home. I am now retired and can't afford to always go to the fabric store and have been glad to have the fabric. My problem is that I also have a ton of other craft items collected over the years. Oh well, I have learned to sew in chaos and feel like something is missing if it's too organized.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I can really relate, even though when we had to downsize from a 3 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apt., I gave away nearly half of my "stash", before I told my son and husband that I had to draw the line. I know I have a problem with my love of fabric, however, it didn't make sense to give away all my fabric, then turn around and buy new fabric especially since we are on a limited budget. Now my expeditions to the fabric store are begun in my stacks of fabrics. I just finished a twin size quilt for our DGD entirely from my "stash". That said, because my "sewing area" is limited to a banquet size table, that also has my TV on it, plus a small craft table, when I begin a project, my space "explodes". Then, because of limited space I need to clear off my bed if I want to sleep in it, I make matters worse. I will continue to try to organize my sewing area, but knowing that it will never be completely organized until I make about a 100 or so more quilts. LOL. I'm a mess, what can I say.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Well, mine is always a mess and I am very creative. Would not be happy any other way. If you want to send it to me I will be glad to have it! Seriously, I know I'm a fabri-holic and I just accept it. When i'm blind i'll give it away, but until then, I can't stop collecting.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM

Oh, my yes. I don't really have one dedicated quilting room. I have my Janome in my living room adjacent to my quilt closet under the stairs (Harry Potter's bedroom) and my Sweet 16 in the back part of the kitchen. I cut and quilt there, and piece in the other room. This arrangement means I have to do some cleanup when company comes, but otherwise I just tidy up between projects. Meanwhile hubby often has railroad model builing stuff on the kitchen table, though he has a huge room for himself, too. Chaos and creativity are sisters, in my mind. Both need to be kept in line sometimes, and let loose at others!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM

When we moved here a year ago everything was in tubs piled to the ceiling. I'd start a project and out would come every tub. I have since invested in stacking drawers. I have to sizes, the smaller holds fabric smaller than 1 yard which I folded to stand on end so when I open I can look across the top of the drawer I can see every thing. The larger drawers hold larger fabric. I have also labeled each drawer with the main color that it contains. I still have a cluttered room when I am in the midst of a project but at least I'm not tripping over tubs anymore.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM

As you can see from my picture, I have a lot of plastic shelving units, I live in a 4 bedroom old bungalow style house, the up stairs is totally all sewing, so the plastic shelves start at the beginning of one wall and wrap around to all the walls, one bedroom is now just for my sewing machines, cutting table, corner computer desk, an old pattern filing cabinet, one large wooden cubby with 3 (shoe) cubbies for patterns, thread, zippers, stacks of parts for my purses I make etc. I have my one bedroom up there an then I also have one open concept room about 15 x 20, but the whole hallway both sides of the walls plastic shelving unit next to each other all the way around, my industrial machine, plus 2 aisles of shelving, not to mention 26 gal. totes and boxes an boxes of more stuff, I've been trying to pack up what I don't actually use for now and am putting in basement--which has exceptionally high ceilings because it is an above ground basement which was actually a store at one time, so am trying to organize something down there for the overflow. I still need to get rid of one wooden shelving unit to replace with another table for more of my sewing machines. I'm always creating so yes its always a mess, my son calls me an organized hoarder, because even though I have more fabric than I'll ever use I know exactly where everything is.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM

You just described me to a T in every aspect...except you did not mention scraps. I love scraps. I save every smidgen and give the pieces to small to sew to a lady who makes pet beds for the humane society. I love scrappy quilts and I do more sewing on the scraps than fabric. I hate cutting for a quilt...but I will cut strips, squares out of my scraps and neatly put them in shoeboxes and sew scrappy quilts. I love my fabrics and I love looking through them. I will take fabrics I don't want to the dog bed lady or to guild for anyone who wants them. As for magazines, I find a new quilter who really appreciates them..or take them to guild to give away or donate to one of the thrift stores. I have way to many also...but when I think of getting rid of them, I always find a project I want to do in them. If there is a "friends of the library near you, that is always a good place to donate them too. I can sestroy a perfectly organized sewing room in about 7 minutes. i have given up trying to organize it. it is like cleaning the toilet...it just needs it again soon. Anyway, welcome to my world!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Mine got so bad this winter that I was not able to quilt anymore! I couldn't get to my sewing machine or iron board. I had to hire my assistant from work to help me organize. 3 hours of paying her and 70 hours of my own labor over the past 2 months has my 17x23 craft/woodshop/exercise room looking great, and so far I've been cleaning up after myself. Even made 2 quilts with my niece and nephew while they were here last week, and other than having to re-file those fabrics, the room is in order!I did buy 2 double wide shelving armoire sauder cabinets, for fleece and batting, and have the cottons in clear plastic 3stack drawer bins organized by color and theme. I believe there are 15 of the 3stacks and 3 old dressers for fabric. Also 2 metal/wood shelving units from menards, one as a shelving unit, the other in 2 pieces, for storage and the tops for ironing and cutting, much better height than a table for cutting! I use old pill bottles for pins and buttons, clear bins for pillow forms, cross stitch stuff, scrapping and stamping stuff, etc. I love it but ask me in a year if its still organized!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 AM

NO!!! I can't work in clutter.I clean as I go and am an organized freak about my sewing room.I'ts always neater than the rest of my house! LOL!