Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM

It seems I am always saying I will clean up after I finish... This morning my cutting table and ironing board were cleaned off completely. I had 5 granddaughters sewing today. I usually do most of their cutting, the oldest is 10 and I worry about any of them using a rotary cutter yet. After cutting for each of them and then letting them get what they wanted out of the scrap baskets it is worse than usual. One of them managed to knock over a small table with 2 sewing machines on it. I still haven't figured that out, but it was a mess. The machines are ok. I have an 18 x 22 room, with plenty of storage. I don't know why I can't keep it clean. But I do have fun in there.

Last edited by Vera39760; 07-26-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 AM

My room gets cleaned up every night when I am through sewing for the day. I can't stand to go into the room and see a mess. Than I'd just have to take the time to straighten up before I start. Yes, I am probably OCS to a degree, but this way I can lay my hands on everything I need when I need it! My stash is in a small bookcase, all folded up and in several clear shoe boxes, stacked in a cupboard. I try to keep it small, so I don't overspend or acquire too much.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Mine is tidy most of the time, but it needs a good cleaning. I have a plate rail going around the top that needs dusted, along with the furniture. My baseboards, particularly where I've gotten starch on them (yuck) need scrubbed, but if you looked quickly in there right now, it appears clean. Just don't look for long or too close. My long arm room needs dusted, but is otherwise pretty clean.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Default I guess I'm pretty neat.

My sewing room is also the spare bedroom with two twin beds on separate walls. There is no dresser room for my guests, which are usually family and close friends. My fabric is a small collection on a shelving unit in one of the closets. I have a u-shaped sewing area, two tables and my sewing machine table. I also use an old heavy formica fold-away table if I need more cutting room or iron set up. I try to keep it all as neat as I can. I like to start out with a neat area. I use baskets or plastic shoe boxes or just their covers to collect scraps I can't be bothered with while I'm cutting or sewing. I work best when I start out with a neat area.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Yes, but mostly when I am working on a quilt or sewing. I always have at least 2 projects going, mostly mory. But sometimes I give myself time off and just fold/stack each project on a corner of my 4x4 cutting table. I read a couple of books and rest a lot.
I recently emptied all my fabric bins and folded each piece of fabric to a certain size, according to how large the piece is. No bins, no boxes.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 PM

I took all my flannel and cut into dish rag size, hemmed and moved to the kitchen. Great in the kitchen