Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dog beds for shelters >

dog beds for shelters

dog beds for shelters

Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Default dog beds for shelters

For those of you that make them, can you give me some pointers or advise on what to use for the outer cover? I know what to use on the inside, but am unsure of the outer cover. Thanks, Gina
Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I would contact the shelter. They will give you guidelines. A friend of mine works at one and they don't accept any home made ones. They just want old bath towels because they have found them easier to launder.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM

I have made then with denim to fit our shelters dog beds.our shelter takes anything you can give/make
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks I will call my local shelter.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM

The shelter I work at just takes blankets and towels, big bulky items usually end up getting tossed because they are difficult to launder like large beds, thic so we prefer not to use those types of itemsk blankets also what happens is stuff with batting ends up clogging the drains and sumps when some of the dogs chew them up like comforters and old quilts
Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 PM

They have large washers, but when I saw the pile of little quilts to be washed I was amazed. It was a pile 7 foot across and about 3 feet high. Even with the large washers it would take hours to wash everything. Cats - would rather sleep in a box or on a piece of cardboard. lol 15 x 18. Small dogs - like shelter - afraid they will get stepped on etc. Large dogs rule and sleep where they want. lol
I was thinking about going down to the drapery factory to see if they had scraps, and goodwill too.
I was at harbor freight last week and they had moving quilts on sale for 4.99 and I told my daughter that they would be great to cut up and make little mats.
She was also thinking about using those same quilts for cutting out a horse blanket, just adding Velcro. It wouldn't take much to make one. I've made them out of old bedspreads, anything that is clean and usable. The dogs don't care, lol.