Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
humane societies/animal shelters >

humane societies/animal shelters

humane societies/animal shelters

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I think all of these places should have big signs on their doors/entrances stating what will probably happen to the animals that are dropped off there.

Once upon a time, I thought that these "shelters" kept the animals alive until they were adopted.

I wonder how many other people think/thought the same thing.

When I read somewhere that thousands and thousands of animals are euthanized/killed - and then I don't know what happens to their bodies -

Sorry for this being a downer, but people need to KNOW!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I know, its so sad! I wish more places could be NO KILL shelters. I adopted my Pug mix from a huge NK in Ill., it was such an awesome place. A vet owned it, and ran it with mostly volunteers. Wish it were closer to me, I would be volunteering ALL the time!
We have a small cat one here, I make quilts for them to raise money, and they own a thrift store, so I try to buy used clothes THERE to support them. reat place run mostly with volunteers.
If I ever win the lottery, I would open one!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 AM

Sad but true!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 AM

Our humane society here is a no-kill shelter. They get many dogs and cats from other areas that are.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Unfortunately there just isn't money available for all shelters to be NK and there aren't enough people out there that will adopt shelter dogs. There's an awful lot of people that only will buy from breeders and that's okay too. We got our dog from a NK because the local HS has so many rules and regulations that it's ridiculous. You HAVE to sign up for an 8 week course in animal training. That's a 50 mile round trip for me plus the cost of the classes plus the adoption fee. Nope, I went to Parke-Vermillion animal shelter in Indiana and adopted. $110 and out the door.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 AM

I know it's hard to see that, but at least they will tell you what will happen.

We have several no-kill shelters here. I try to support them when I get a chance.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 AM

I recently read that since the economy has gotten so bad, the shelters are overflowing with animals their owners can no longer afford to care for. It isn't cheap taking care of animals when the vet charges more then the doctor!!
We do have an alternative place here. You may have to wait a while, but the cost is affordable. I haven't had to use them, but it's good to know there are places like this available. :-D
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

It is very sad. What rankles me is people not spaying/neutering their pets. The only thing about euthanasia
is that to me it's better than just letting the poor things loose to try to fend for themselves. I wish I could open up the biggest shelter in the world. I love them all :D
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM

This may sound horrible but a "put to sleep" death is not the worse thing that can happen. The problem is irresponsible owners that can't afford and should never have pets. I was given a purebred boxer once that was starving, covered in fleas, and had her ears almost eaten off by bugs. It took me weeks of cleaning, feeding and doctoring to get that poor dog back into shape. Not to mention the numerous vet bills. But when all was said and done, she was one beautiful boxer. Her ears were scarred but just a bit, most of the skin and hair grew back. She was also the best dog I ever had. Protective, loyal, and extremely intelligent. The vet said that another week of not being fed and she would have been beyond help.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 AM

I know it is very sad but what are they to do? I went to my local Humane Society yesterday to donate some money and drop off some cat food. There were cats and kittens coming out of the woodwork. There had to be 6 or 8 rabbits too. There is no way all those rabbits are going to get adopted I don't think, so what can they do?? It makes me so sad but what can we do? I know I don't have an answer.