Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
humane societies/animal shelters >

humane societies/animal shelters

humane societies/animal shelters

Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janie Q
Today in the pouring rain someone dumped 2 half grown terrified kittens in my yard. They are now on my porch warm and well fed. They are so affectionate and look well cared for. I will watch the lost and found ads but bet no one claims them. I told my husband he could take them to the pound. He can't anymore than I can. Our small shelter is always begging for people to adopt pets. My husband said get em nuetered and declawed. I guess they are keepers. There should be a law that people spay and neuter!
Thank you for taking these babies in but please, please, please do not declaw them. It is a horrible thing. Painful for the cat as well as psychologically damaging. There is a reason declawing is illegal in many countries. Yes spay and neuter but please do not amputate these kittens toes, which is what declawing is.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Janie Q
Today in the pouring rain someone dumped 2 half grown terrified kittens in my yard. They are now on my porch warm and well fed. They are so affectionate and look well cared for. I will watch the lost and found ads but bet no one claims them. I told my husband he could take them to the pound. He can't anymore than I can. Our small shelter is always begging for people to adopt pets. My husband said get em nuetered and declawed. I guess they are keepers. There should be a law that people spay and neuter!
Thank you for taking these babies in but please, please, please do not declaw them. It is a horrible thing. Painful for the cat as well as psychologically damaging. There is a reason declawing is illegal in many countries. Yes spay and neuter but please do not amputate these kittens toes, which is what declawing is.
I second that. We have two cats neither scratches the furniture or us unless of course I am trying to give meds then only one is turns into the crazy kitty. It took me a little time but they use the scratching post.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM

The biggest problem is not the shelters or the people who don't Spay or nueter... It's the prices that people can't afford...It's rediculous what vet's charge..I went to the human society and got my cat done for 50$ shots included.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM

yeah Fulton county had free spay and neuter. I guess not enough people know about it. But I do get the ones who say "I don't believe in fixing my dog" Mostly its men but one of our ladies had a great answer. She told some guy " Sir, we are not talking about neutering you. We are talking about your dog" This is after the man gave her a big long speech about how if God wanted dogs neutered he would have made them that way and about how it was unnatural not to let dogs breed. Needless to say by the time the guy and the volunteer got done we were all having to leave so we didn't laugh.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
but when I called about spaying her, they basically said please do that, but not here. So I called around to several vets in the area and they all charge so much... It's hard. I thought there were programs to help but haven't found anything. Since they're all indoor cats and the boys have been fixed, she's on hold for now.

I realize not everybody's like me. Some people just don't care. But I do, and am not able to really do anything about it right now.
I see you're in California. There should be a spay/neuter clinic in your area. Are you in the boonies? Try calling a vet and asking specifically for a low cost "spay neuter clinic" in your area or call 1-866-PET SPAY. Even if your vet doesn't host it, they should know about clinics. I'm sorry the shelter didn't have that info for you. I know that around these parts people can get a spay for under $30 and neuter is a few dollars less.

I've heard of mobile clinics in some large cities. Haven't seen any personally but it's a wonderful idea.

If you're still having problems and would like some help, PM me.

One of the benefits of spaying is avoiding pyrometra and cancer. Both would benefit your indoor kitty. Plus the heat moaning is really annoying. :0D Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think all of these places should have big signs on their doors/entrances stating what will probably happen to the animals that are dropped off there.

Once upon a time, I thought that these "shelters" kept the animals alive until they were adopted.

I wonder how many other people think/thought the same thing.

When I read somewhere that thousands and thousands of animals are euthanized/killed - and then I don't know what happens to their bodies -

Sorry for this being a downer, but people need to KNOW!!!
DO SO AGREE, many do have no kill policy but o/here so many dogs dumped/given up are staffordshire bull terriers ,many of whom sadly have been so treated that they are not safe so are PTS.
Do plse try and support these shelters/rescues by helping ,physically if near OR donating a quilt/other items that could be used by them to fundraise.
The education of owners is CRUCIAL and spay/castration vouchers can be given to avoid unwanted litters.
BUT whilst humans are banging eight bells out of one another too sadly animals do not have a chance.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM

I have never adopted from a shelter/or rescue

I would love to one day, I even look at the web listing for what they have.

I have 2 animals right now
A chihuahua who is 10 and we have had since she was 9 months old
and a cat who is 5 and we have had since he was 7 weeks old.
5 years ago I lost a chihuahua that lived to 22

I dont vet animals yearly so they wont adopt to me.
All my animals are neutered and or spayed. If we are going out of town I give all the shots I can at home and get a rabies at the office. My animals are indoor animals I am not going to inject them with vaxs when they are never exposed.
If they are sick then they go to the vet. other wise like my cat has not been to the Vet in 3 years. Since he flew on a plane.

But my animals are well taken care of well fed and well loved. If a shelter wants to kill and animal before it gives one to me then so be it. Its on their head not mine.
I love animals. I have worked with them before I became disabled for almost 10 years. But imho shelters have gone to far in screening potential adopters.

But I will get off my soapbox.

P.S before anyone stars saying I am a bad pet parent let me remind you that my pets are WELL taken care of. Both of my babies now are past puppy and kitty stage and both have excellent health.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM

One of our volunteers does not get her pets shots every year either. But she does get her animals tested to see if they need the shots. With us if you kept records and had the labels from the bottles we would probably adopt to you. But we would do a home visit and see what your animals looked like and how they were taken care of. We have had to be so careful adopting out animals. I just don't understand why someone would pay a $150.00 adoption fee and then mistreat an animal or not care for it. That's a lot of money to me. The only thing we absolutely insist on is heartworm meds every month. And that just takes a second to be infected and the animal doesn't have to go outside for it to happen.