Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The politics of quilting societies...can someone explain? >

The politics of quilting societies...can someone explain?

The politics of quilting societies...can someone explain?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 AM

Default The politics of quilting societies...can someone explain?

Can someone give the overview of the main groups of quilting in the US?

I went to the website that included the Paducah show and see that it is sponsored by the AQS, American Quilter's Society but obviously not limited to the U.S. since the best of show went to someone from the Netherlands.

Then, on their list of shows, I didn't see Houston, which I thought was the premier show of the world.

So, is there another group that actually sponsors the Houston Show? Is there another "society" that represents the whole world? I couldn't find any one group on the Houston Show's website--it was just quilts.com which seemed so "nothing".

Could one of you "in the know" enlighten me? I was really expecting to see something about Houston the AQS site, but nothing. Obviously there is no link, but can I assume that AQS would be there somehow?

And are there any statistics as to attendance at Paducah this year?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

the quilt show is Houston is called (The International Quilt Festival) it is the 'biggie' it is a very large Trade Show where all the businesses in the industry go to see what is new, buy/order for their shops, take classes & workshops... being a trade show it is not sponsored by just the AQS or MQS (Mancusco quilting shows) or any of the other *regional* sponsors. companies/vendors come from all over. the public is welcome to go to certain parts of the activities- other 'parts' are business. the AQS and MQS (societies) welcome people from everywhere to participate in their shows- there are other *International* shows in other parts of the world- Japan and the United Kingdom both have Large quilt festivals every year. then there are smaller- more localized quilt shows- (which of course cost a lot less for vendors/participants to participate in) sponsored by many different companies. (the 'biggies' AQS, MQS, Houston, Japan and UK) are fairly expensive and in ways *specialized* --- I have heard that Houston is the largest Quilting Trade Show *but I do not know if that is true- just what I have heard.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Houston has the International Quilt Market, which is followed by the International Quilt Festival. Market is as ckcowl describes, a trade show, and not meant for the general public, while Festival is a huge quilt show. Quilts Inc. produces both of these, as well as a Market in Pittsburgh and a Festival in Chicago, and Quilt/Knit/Stitch coming up in Portland. Quilting is a huge BUSINESS and many groups take part.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 AM

There is also the National Quilting Association (NQA) and they have a show every year. Both the NQA (a non-profit) and the AQS (a publisher and membership organization) do far more to support and promote quilters and quilting than just put on shows. That is not their primary purpose.
http://www.nqaquilts.org/about/
http://www.americanquilter.com/
Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Houston has the International Quilt Market, which is followed by the International Quilt Festival. Market is as ckcowl describes, a trade show, and not meant for the general public, while Festival is a huge quilt show.
Dunster is correct. I was able to attend International Quilt Market twice in the late 90s in October. Very informative for someone who has or plans to start any sort of a quilting business being a shop, quilting service or designing patterns.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all this info, ladies, I have often wondered what the difference might be. My sister and I went to a big show in Louisville last fall that was wonderful--to my thinking, a smaller version of Paducah, and I loved it. Paducah is way too big for just one day, and I never have the time to spare except maybe over a weekend. Plus, I have thought that Houston did seem awful big--two of my sisters have been to it, but I have forgotten what their "take" on it was. I have been to the Paducah show several times, just day trips, and loved it each time; but it really is too much to try to take in in one day.

My sister and I went up to the Paducah show this past Friday, and spent the night in the same hotel with a bus-load of Canadian ladies who were having a "GOOD" time. They were getting ready to leave when we were, and I spoke with a couple of them while my sister was packing our car to leave. I didn't spend $3,000 like some of the ladies said they always saved up so they could make this trip (come of think of it, I did spend that much, I bought an Elna); but mine was a spur of the moment and call home to ask DH, and I guess most people spend only what they budget it for.
(When I ever get the picture thing figured out, or a grandkid over here to do it for me, I'll be doing an entry on my trip and purchases at Paducah.)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 AM

I was told that the attendance for the Houston show is about 75000 people. Not verified but came from reliable source.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Difergie View Post
I was told that the attendance for the Houston show is about 75000 people. Not verified but came from reliable source.
That is amazing. Any ideas on how many at the Paducah show?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 AM

My daughter lives in Paducah and worked for the newspaper previously and I think that she said in years past, that about 30,000 attended the Quilt Show during its 4 days - that would be paid admission I am assuming. I will ask her if anything came out in the newspaper this year telling how many came this year. I paid for myself, my DH and my DD - so that makes 3 of us - LOL

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
That is amazing. Any ideas on how many at the Paducah show?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
My daughter lives in Paducah and worked for the newspaper previously and I think that she said in years past, that about 30,000 attended the Quilt Show during its 4 days - that would be paid admission I am assuming. I will ask her if anything came out in the newspaper this year telling how many came this year. I paid for myself, my DH and my DD - so that makes 3 of us - LOL
That is amazing since the population of Paducah is only about 25,000 from the 2010 census. No wonder it makes such a big splash there!