Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dog grooming kerchiefs >

dog grooming kerchiefs

dog grooming kerchiefs

Old 12-20-2010, 02:40 PM

my SIL had several dogs thru the years and when they came back from the groomers, they always had a kerchief around their neck. She saved them all and would like me to make a quilt from them as a remembrance of them as she no longer has any dogs. they are triangle shaped. different sizes. any suggestions for a pattern???
Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 PM

You could do them similar to the handkerchief quilt patterns I've seen posted or maybe use them in half square triangles.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by peppermint31
my SIL had several dogs thru the years and when they came back from the groomers, they always had a kerchief around their neck. She saved them all and would like me to make a quilt from them as a remembrance of them as she no longer has any dogs. they are triangle shaped. different sizes. any suggestions for a pattern???
Why didn't I ever think of that. I had 4 dogs, down to only 3. All needed/need to be groomed. They always had cute fabric kerchiefs around their necks. All the holidays, and just cute small prints. I don't know exactly what I would have made from them. But it sure would have been cute. Same thing with all the scrubs I sold for $1.00 when I became disabled. Who would have known I could have made something cute out of those too.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 PM

I used some of these doggie scarves in an I Spy quilt!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM

i am saving mine for a quilt too. tony always comes back with a kerchief on. He just prances around. he loves them.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Why didn't I ever think of that. I had 4 dogs, down to only 3. All needed/need to be groomed. They always had cute fabric kerchiefs around their necks. All the holidays, and just cute small prints. I don't know exactly what I would have made from them. But it sure would have been cute. Same thing with all the scrubs I sold for $1.00 when I became disabled. Who would have known I could have made something cute out of those too.
you know since I now wear the nylon scrubs as it repels hair and water and when it actually does get wet it dries really quickly, I have been eyeing all these cotton scrub tops I have. Not quite ready to cut them up yet though. but it is definately on my mind. LOL
Old 12-20-2010, 03:40 PM

I am a dog groomer ( first!! and a quilter second!!) and I've had many customers save their holiday ( Easter, 4th of July, Christmas etc ) bandana's and when the dog passes away, I've made memory quilts for them. Nothing fancy, maybe a simple checkerboard pattern using a new solid fabric ( black is my favorite ) alternating with the old bandana fabric that has been cut in squares. Easy but visually striking!!

jodi in leavenworth
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Originally Posted by klgreene
you know since I now wear the nylon scrubs as it repels hair and water and when it actually does get wet it dries really quickly, I have been eyeing all these cotton scrub tops I have. Not quite ready to cut them up yet though. but it is definately on my mind. LOL
Well don't get rid of your cotton scrubs. Mine were all cotton accept for 2. And I can't even begin to tell you how many I had. I bought them like I buy fabric. I love the fabric. I buy it. So all of mine were like new. I was a receptionist at a surgical center. So I didn't even hardly get them dirty.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM

I have a pattern for them. If you would like PM me with your address and I'll send it to you. I think it's just a homemade one, I picked it up at a quilter's estate yard sale.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 AM

I bought alot as well as there were so many cute animal prints for scrubs. But with the nylon scrubs I dont have to wear an apron. with the cotton scrubs hair would stick to it terrible.