Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doilie quilt help >

Doilie quilt help

Doilie quilt help

Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Gay

I have something similar, vintage style, in the pipeline. Will probably use a fusible like Vliesafix (can you get a wash-away one?) and iron them on. If well pressed I don't see a problem with sewing over them with a dsm or longarm.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 AM

As a longarmer, I would prefer to have my client stitch them on after longarming. The open areas of the doilies would catch in the hopping foot and distort the doilies. It is possible but I would not be able to assure that it would be perftect. Another point to consider is that you get to cover areas of quilting that may not be your favorite! LOL!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I crochet and I find it very interesting that almost all the doilies are sewed on upside down. Doilies by there very nature are not a tight project. A long armer would have a nightmare trying to keep those threads down & in place, and not getting hung up on the hopping foot. I would put them on after the item is quilted. It will take a lot of stitches to keep them from sagging & moving around on the finished item. These doilies that they used are done in a circular pattern. Stitching them down that way would probably work the best. That way you would be supporting the main framework similar to the crochet pattern. But, on the other hand, radiating out like with a sun's rays might actually work better.

This might help. These are directions from the same website that you referenced: http://www.vanessachristenson.com/20...lies-onto.html
I have crocheted for 68 years now and have done many doilies and over 1,000 baby blankets. Now for the first time in my life I feel real ignorant about crocheting. I never knew that there was a top and a bottom for a doily, only a front and a back. I will try to check it out.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 AM

Finally found a large enough picture that you can see the outside chain edge that I am talking about. http://web.archive.org/web/200804161...000/cloud.html
Love the idea of doilies on a quilt.
I also love this doily pattern - thanks for posting it!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I have crocheted for 68 years now and have done many doilies and over 1,000 baby blankets. Now for the first time in my life I feel real ignorant about crocheting. I never knew that there was a top and a bottom for a doily, only a front and a back. I will try to check it out.
I was going to say I agree with you BUT then after thinking about it, I believe we are using different words to say the same thing. Top would equal front and bottom would equal back. At least I think!!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Last summer I made an over- dress or call it long loose top from doilies with a pale blue sundress underneath.
All because my 21 yr old granddaughter saw a dress picture on the web. I was silly enough to say __I have lots of them and could make one like it. I did it by hand sewing the dollies all together to make a dress that would hang over the cotton sundress that had a full skirt and small straps to hide bra strap. It took 65 dollies and a lot of patience because I had no pattern and no body or form to try it on --OH well it came out very well. Would be a very expensive dress to buy I know !!!! The dollies are not that hard to work with for a quilt just stitch them on by hand.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I have something similar, vintage style, in the pipeline. Will probably use a fusible like Vliesafix (can you get a wash-away one?) and iron them on. If well pressed I don't see a problem with sewing over them with a dsm or longarm.
Won't the adhesive show thru the lacy areas? You would need to do some research to see if any wash away products exist. I know there are wash away stabilizers, but they are single sided.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 AM

Finally found a large enough picture that you can see the outside chain edge that I am talking about. http://web.archive.org/web/200804161...000/cloud.html
Aww, I totally get what you are saying. Thank you so much!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips, but especially your time! I'm a month or so out before I give this a try. And hoping to find a longarm quilter locally if I can. (Memphis area)....
Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I was going to say I agree with you BUT then after thinking about it, I believe we are using different words to say the same thing. Top would equal front and bottom would equal back. At least I think!!
I'm also a crocheter and agree it's just a different way of saying the same thing. There's a front/top and a back/bottom. That holds true for a piece done in rounds, anyway.

Last edited by Neesie; 03-23-2015 at 08:33 AM.