Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doilie quilt help >

Doilie quilt help

Doilie quilt help

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Doilie quilt help

I want to make a crib/twin size quilt using doilies, just like the picture attached. I've included the link. Basically a solid gray background with these wonderful doiles in the corner! I saw it on pinterest but I can't find any followup instructions. Do I use fabric squares put together to make it larger than the width of fabric? Do I attach the doilies to the quilt top only and then have it quilted. Just seems like it would be so heavy in that corner that it might be a problem. Any suggestions or tips or basic instructions to make this happen, would be appreciated. I'm easily intimidated and excited by such works of art in this group, but I absorb as much from you all as I can. Thanks for your advice, hints, or tips!!

http://www.vanessachristenson.com/20...bre-doily.html

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2015 at 08:15 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I would attach the doilies after it was quilted but you could ask your long armer unless you're going to do it. Then it would be up to you. I would be afraid of it getting hung up. it's beautiful by the way. Love to pick up doilies at estate sales.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM

I crochet and I find it very interesting that almost all the doilies are sewed on upside down. Doilies by there very nature are not a tight project. A long armer would have a nightmare trying to keep those threads down & in place, and not getting hung up on the hopping foot. I would put them on after the item is quilted. It will take a lot of stitches to keep them from sagging & moving around on the finished item. These doilies that they used are done in a circular pattern. Stitching them down that way would probably work the best. That way you would be supporting the main framework similar to the crochet pattern. But, on the other hand, radiating out like with a sun's rays might actually work better.

This might help. These are directions from the same website that you referenced: http://www.vanessachristenson.com/20...lies-onto.html
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 AM

They could be attached prior to longarming IF the longarmer used a protective tear away paper over them prior to stitching....or that plastic wrap that sticks..... I would think that would really sew down that delicate crochet work....
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

​I think the best thing to do is ask the longarmer.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I agree about asking the long armer as they all have different skills & techniques. A friend does a lot with thrift store fancy linens. She tacks them down first, then long arms over the whole thing, using tissue where needed. When it's done, she hand secures any areas that didn't get quilted down.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I did a quilt using the dollies as the curve of a Drunkard Path. I cut my dollies into quarters and securely attached them by sewing. Sorry, it was one of the first quilts I made and there wasn't digital pictures back then
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I crochet and I find it very interesting that almost all the doilies are sewed on upside down. Doilies by there very nature are not a tight project. A long armer would have a nightmare trying to keep those threads down & in place, and not getting hung up on the hopping foot. I would put them on after the item is quilted. It will take a lot of stitches to keep them from sagging & moving around on the finished item. These doilies that they used are done in a circular pattern. Stitching them down that way would probably work the best. That way you would be supporting the main framework similar to the crochet pattern. But, on the other hand, radiating out like with a sun's rays might actually work better.

This might help. These are directions from the same website that you referenced: http://www.vanessachristenson.com/20...lies-onto.html
I've never done crochet myself, how do I tell the top from the bottom! I want to get it right for sure. These are from a dear aunt who gave them to me and has since passed away.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 PM

The top is where you see the little chain looking stitches. If you only see 1 thread going sideways at the top of the piece, then it is upside down. There is a difference in how each stitch looks too. I wish I was at home, I could take a picture and post it, but I won't be back for several days.

Although this page is about learning how to crochet, it is a good example of what the correct side looks like. http://crochet.about.com/od/crochets...c-stitches.htm

Could you post a close up pic of the outside edge of one of your crocheted doilies? If I can see them clearly, I can tell you if they are right side up.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Finally found a large enough picture that you can see the outside chain edge that I am talking about. http://web.archive.org/web/200804161...000/cloud.html