Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donation wallhanging >

Donation wallhanging

Donation wallhanging

Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Default Donation wallhanging

I've had trouble posting the picture, so I'm just going with the text version. I've been asked to donate a wallhanging for a community Christmas bazaar, and I don't typically like to do that, only because I feel like I'm giving them a$100 bill and they raffle it off for $50. But I was asked at church, and felt it would be very Grinch-like to say no. My question is - is there a tactful way to tell them not to let it go in a raffle for $35, or is that just rude? If it's a silent auction and they don't get what I think it's worth, I'll just outbid and take it back. Or should I just suck it up and let them get whatever they get? Any thoughts? ( It's an Art or Heart pattern "Jolly Old Saint Nick" - I used three Santa's instead of 9 and made it a wallhanging .)
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 AM

I've been to many silent auctions that have a "reserved bid" on them. If you feel strongly about it, then have them put that on the bidding sheet - if they don't get that then you receive it back. At that time if you choose to you could always make a cash donation to them of whatever you chose.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Church politics can be tricky. I would probably tell them that it's worth $100 (or whatever) and if they think they can get that or more, you will donate it, otherwise you will give them a check for that amount. At least you can deduct a cash donation. Cute pattern by the way!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM

When I have donated items for an auction, silent or otherwise, I have always been asked to state a fair starting bid. If you claim this as a charitable donation on your taxes, you will need to have a $ amount, which should be what it's worth, not what it went for.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM

I think #2 post is the way to handle this situation.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it would be tacky to attach a note listing the cost of materials. It doesn't mean they won't remove the note and get less than it's worth but at least they will know how much in material you donated to the fundraising effort.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM

I accept the crafts for our Church Bazaar. At the time I receive them, I ask how much should we charge for the item, should we reduce price if it doesn't sell or attract interest, and do they want it back if it doesn't sell. Crafters & quilters know how much it costs to make an item and how to price it. But it's the buyers (mostly) who no idea about the time and materials and cost in an item and want it at Walmart/made in China prices!

I would not be embarrassed to tell the person who asked for one your wallhangings that it must have a fair starting bid. If they don't accept that, give them a donation and they'll probably be just as happy. Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM

I am donating a lap quilt to a silent auction. A small one. All bids must start at $50 and they ask donors to give the cost and post that on the bid sheet. I estimated $100 in materials (cant deduct time!). I was happy to be able to donate and will be happy with whatever they get.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the input! I think I'll include a reference cost or reserve. I appreciate your help!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Each year I donate quilts to the Bible camp quilt auction in my home community. We have the opportunity to state the cost of materials on the entry form. Some people have requested a beginning bid for their work.

It can be heartbreaking when things sell low, but sometimes they go very high. So I try to keep focused on the mission of the organization and enjoy the excitement of the bidding, as well as the fun of viewing so many lovely quilts. It is a privilege to donate. It is also a privilege to have my quilts be purchased and go into homes. I sometimes introduce myself to the winning bidder and enjoy making a new friend who supports the camp.